Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Annie PT Update: A Quantum Leap

Another week of practice brought us to another physical therapy session. Today, I had Annie in loose sweat pants. We arrived and put on her "Mr. Tony leg" and I showed her that I was uncuffing her left leg because her foot was at the bottom and she needed the whole leg to be covered. She stood on her own two legs looking at her image in the full-length mirror and was mesmerized by it. I saw her reacting to her new image with pride.

She went to her work-out with vigor. Ashley gave her a toy shopping cart and threw the groceries around the room. Annie, using the cart to stabilize herself, but not lean on it, wheeled around the room, stopping to pick up the items Ashley had thrown. Jubilant tears welled in my eyes and I dared not let them spill. She must not know that anything is different. Ashley commented that she was going at it hard. Her cheeks turned rosey and she got frustrated at the 45 minute mark. Ashley brought over a mini-trampoline and jumped on it with Annie, stabilizing Annie's legs between her legs. Annie looked at herself bouncing in the mirror. I saw a new thought dawning in her...I can jump! I can walk! I CAN!

Annie wore her leg home. Dave stopped at the toy store and bought a Little Tykes grocery cart for her. Something has definitely changed.

6 comments:

JLF said...

I'm a relatively new reader enjoying your witty view of life as a Catholic, a mom, a wife and a professional. I am balancing the same roles and I appreciate your willingness to share your experiences. I just had to let you know how thrilled I am to hear of Annie's progress. What a marvelous day!

Million Dollar Mary said...

well tears of joy are certainly streaming down my face as i read your post. annie has been on my prayer list daily since she got her prosthesis and i have been asking the Lord to let Annie have fun with her Mr. Tony leg. It sounds like she did just that.

the game ashley played with her reminds me of a game i played with my K-3rd graders when i taught phy. ed. it was called, "clean up your yard". we used those accordion style gym mats for the fence down the middle of the gymnasium. i threw out literally hundreds of foam balls. the class was divided in half and placed on both sides of the "fence". it was their job to clean up their own yards. well...needless to say the job was never done. the game went on for the whole 45 minute gym period. i had them "clean up their yard" by throwing the balls with their favorite arm, their other arm, both arms above their heads, underhand, between their legs (like hiking a football)....the giggles were endless and the joy in movement exploration was incredible. gosh how i miss those days...

the work ashley is doing with annie reminds me of my adaptive p.e. days....sounds like she's an angel in a PT costume....

i'll keep the prayers a flowin'

love you sis,
mar

Ruth Anne Adams said...

JLF: Welcome. Comment anytime. Balance is a good challenge to everyone.

Mare: Your ears must've been burning. Yesterday, I was telling Ashley about your PE teaching and that one seminar that changed your methods entirely. I told her about your adaptive PE class. She said, "That's funny. I loved my adaptive PE class and that's definitely what lead me into pediatric PT." She holds a PhD in peds PT--mostly because you couldn't specialize in peds without more coursework.

Just this morning, Annie wanted to "play" with her shopping cart, so she's already done her first session with her Mr. Tony leg. And, yes, cleaning up is a great skill for all the kids.

SippicanCottage said...

Heh. Go little girl.

Anonymous said...

Great news, Ruth Anne! I was hoping this would happen. How exciting for Annie, and you.

AnneGero said...

So happy that Annie is so determined. She doesn't take after anyone strange, does she?
I know she will find herself doing more and more as she gets her balance and used to her Mr. Tony leg. My joyful tears flowed profusely.