I really enjoy music and I was even a decent musician in my youth. But I haven't quite digitized my music experience. Dave gave me an iPod for my birthday [September 16th--mark it on your calendars now] and I haven't even taken it out of the box except to look at the shiny chrome and think, "now when will I use this?"
I listen to talk radio, podcasts, and archived Medved at work. There's not much time to listen to music. Plus, I have an office and I just play the radio right by my desk. At the Y, I pop in the earbuds and watch the TV that's connected to the elliptical machine while I eke-out a work-out. If the children are watching the TV, I listen to what's being said. Music just doesn't work its way into my life very much. It's more like the bump music of my otherwise talk-laden life.
That said, I always love it when my friend Reader notes what she's listening to because it affects her mood. I often don't know the song she's hearing, but I sure like knowing that someone's appreciating all the music. The other day, I got the soundtrack to "When Harry Met Sally"...it's ancient and I got it --ahem-- for a song. It's wall-to-wall vintage Harry Connick, Jr. I love it. Dave downloaded it to iTunes and it's the background music for this post. How's that Reader?
15 years ago

6 comments:
I'd kind of like to be able to have an MP3 player in the van - if you have to drive any distance, that really feels like lost time, and podcasts are a good way to reclaim that time, but you can't listen to an MP3 player on headphones while driving.
The closest thing to talk radio we have out here in darkest Indiana is NPR. That's okay, as long as you don't mind listening to stuff you don't agree with. Ehh. I like to be challenged. ;)
It had to be you... .
Simon, if you have an iPod, at least, you can broadcast podcasts through your radio, either via iTrip or by a "converter thingie" (that's a technical term) that involves a cassette stuck into your deck. I've listened to a lot of Althouse podcasts that way, for example.
reader_iam - well, with any luck, we'll be back to a steady supply of those podcasts now. ;)
I've been meaning to come back over here and say: It's not so much that the music affects my mood (though music can and does, and I often use that quality IRL deliberately), but that, in terms of my viewing the world, and reacting/responding to what I read and see, AND in term of blogging, specific music comes to mind.
To put it another way, "what I'm listening to," in the context to which you're referring, more often refers to a reflection of my thoughts (etc.; see above), not a catalyst for them.
FWIW.
RIA: So you think in music. That's cool. I dream in color.
Post a Comment