Thanks to NetFlix, we had "Walk the Line" waiting for us after American Idol. Dave and I used to go to two or three movies a week when we were dating. This slowed to about 1 a week when married. And now, since the children, I can only recall going a handful of times. Movie-going is at least a $100 proposition when you add in the babysitter and a meal. And for a little more, we can go to the theater or a really spectacular restaurant. [Or a Toby Kieth concert which is happening tomorrow night!] It doesn't surprise me that the box office receipts are down. Dave and I plead guilty. Woo-hoo NetFlix!
After seeing Reese Witherspoon win Best Actress honors Sunday, I was excited to see her portray June Carter Cash. She conveyed class, humility, warmth and kindness. She also portrayed the internal conflict June had with her love affair with Johnny Cash. She is a beautiful screen presence and her singing was darn good, too. But the story was about Johnny, played by Joaquin Phoenix. I learned from listening to the director's voice-over that his nickname is "Joaq", pronounced "Walk". So the film could have been "Joaq the Lines."
Phoenix did a good job with the role, but I always felt like I was watching Phoenix portray Cash. I never forgot that it was Phoenix on the screen. Conversely, there were moments in "Ray" and "The Buddy Holly Story" when I forgot I was watching an actor. Jon Stewart was right that this movie was "Ray" for white folks. Starting out poor and in the South, Cash was devastated at the death of his brother. His brother Jack was, by everyone's estimation, "the good one." Cash's father accused God of taking the wrong one. What a devastating hurt I felt for the young John. The themes all developed and converged in 1968 when June agreed to marry Johnny, when Johnny was clean and sober, and when he recorded his live album at Folsum County Prison. I think the effect of God, a godly woman and her family, and grace was much more profound in his conversion than was portrayed on screen. It was like God was cut out of the script and it was all "for love of a good woman." Johnny had a bad father, but June's father showed what a good father can be. I sensed that Johnny fell not just for June but for the whole Carter family as well.
Watchable, enjoyable and good.
DFC Update: Top shelf of the corner hutch.
15 years ago

8 comments:
I was never a real Cash fan but I enjoyed some of his songs. Walk The Line may have been the first I learned on the guitar, that or Bobby Bare's Detroit City, who knows.
Anyway, one of my favorites was Cash-Carter singing, Darling Companion. Kind of naughty, kind of strange, kind of disjointed but endearing.
So you have no complaints with Netflix? Not a trick question, just wondering. I don't have it.
You could say that Johnny Cash suffered from a poor father but through grace was redeemed by the Good Father.
(but only if you were religiously inclined, which the makers of the film clearly weren't)
(and is there a 'cute' contest going on with these avatars? Paul has brought out the big guns obviously. Who will be the first to go with the 'hang in there' kitten?)
My chimpanzee, who smoked, passed away. A terrible thing but leaving me quite faceless. I thought I'd go for something with more personality to cover up that which I do not have.
But XWL, there's no touching that cute, little guy you have. At least you're human, I'm a dog.
We love NetFlix. Convenient. Good value. Good service. Well worth a try.
Thank you, Ruth Anne.
My youngest sister's name, without the 'e'. She tormented me through childhood. I, of course, did nothing wrong.
Hey y'all! A real gathering of the Tribe here, I see. :)
Thanks to NetFlix, we had "Walk the Line" waiting for us after American Idol.
That's great how you have NetFlix but my impatient, spoilt nature requires immediate gratification.
So, as you may know, I have the Moviepass (2 DVDs out at any given time) by Blockbuster, for 27.99 per month.
Not TOO bad, I guess.
Dave and I used to go to two or three movies a week when we were dating. This slowed to about 1 a week when married. And now, since the children, I can only recall going a handful of times. Movie-going is at least a $100 proposition when you add in the babysitter and a meal.
I remember you said that and Elizabeth, from Althouse, who leans Left, said see, it's not that Hollywood isn't relevant anymore to Americans -- the decline in box office receipts has to do with the price.
I would wager it's a lot of the first, and quite a bit of the second.
Do you, if I may ask, sometimes claim a student exemption, or can go to a matinee showing?
Both hover around 6/7 dollars at even the nicer stadium-seaters down here. Kiddies are 4.50/5.00, with any kid under 3 free.
And for a little more, we can go to the theater or a really spectacular restaurant.
My dining out isn't that pricey.
Until I got on this cooking kick I'm on, I went out every day of my life -- about 20 dollars, all told, but then, romantic evenings to be sure, have their own propositions, including babysitter.
[Or a Toby Kieth concert which is happening tomorrow night!]
Awesome! I can't wait for your blogpost.
It doesn't surprise me that the box office receipts are down. Dave and I plead guilty. Woo-hoo NetFlix!
See. ;)
After seeing Reese Witherspoon win Best Actress honors Sunday, I was excited to see her portray June Carter Cash. She conveyed class, humility, warmth and kindness.
She fit the role like a worn-shoe, with a kind of ease that can only come from having known of June Carter for a while.
Me, I knew very little if anything about her, other than she was Johnny Carter's wife, and she came from a legendary country family.
But Reese, who I was pleased to find out is from Tennesee, obviously had much more contact, and it showed.
She also portrayed the internal conflict June had with her love affair with Johnny Cash. She is a beautiful screen presence and her singing was darn good, too.
Amazing quality of voice -- very clear, and the phrasing quite lovely.
But it's the screen presence you mention that I loved. Flirty, funny, and yet completely self-aware.
But the story was about Johnny, played by Joaquin Phoenix. I learned from listening to the director's voice-over that his nickname is "Joaq", pronounced "Walk". So the film could have been "Joaq the Lines."
LOL!
Phoenix did a good job with the role, but I always felt like I was watching Phoenix portray Cash.
Possibly. It didn't show him let loose until his very last scene at Fulsom.
I never forgot that it was Phoenix on the screen. Conversely, there were moments in "Ray" and "The Buddy Holly Story" when I forgot I was watching an actor.
I didn't, with Ray...alas.
Jon Stewart was right that this movie was "Ray" for white folks. Starting out poor and in the South, Cash was devastated at the death of his brother. His brother Jack was, by everyone's estimation, "the good one." Cash's father accused God of taking the wrong one. What a devastating hurt I felt for the young John.
Reminds one of another young John, whose father, Joe Kennedy Sr. (whilst he loved Jack, loved the other more), never forgot that Joe Jr. was the favoured golden child.
The themes all developed and converged in 1968 when June agreed to marry Johnny, when Johnny was clean and sober, and when he recorded his live album at Folsum County Prison. I think the effect of God, a godly woman and her family, and grace was much more profound in his conversion than was portrayed on screen. It was like God was cut out of the script and it was all "for love of a good woman." Johnny had a bad father, but June's father showed what a good father can be. I sensed that Johnny fell not just for June but for the whole Carter family as well.
You know my favourite scene of the film?
Without spoiling it too much for others, it's one where Maybelle Carter and Clan greet Johnny's pusher with some nifty deterrents in their hands. ;)
Watchable, enjoyable and good.
Ditto here, Mrs. Adams.
DFC Update: Top shelf of the corner hutch.
Hey, whaddayaknow. Spring cleaning is in the air, since the last week I have been tackling my closets, and rearranging EVERYTHING.
Good luck!
Cheers,
Victoria
Erm, Johnny Cash. :)
Victoria:
I'm not a student, so I don't qualify for any sort of discount. Matinees are out because that's the middle of nap time. For now. And we don't do anything during nap time, except nap ourselves.
It's really not the money of going to the movies. It's the opportunity cost of going to something better for about the same money. Movies are a good price value still. When I was young, a movie cost about an hour of minimum wage work. Same is true today. But when you throw in the cost [dollars and planning] of a sitter, you just want to do something better than a movie that's forgotten in a moment.
We watched "Crash" last night. And "Cinderella Man" is up for this weekend. A little bit of planning and you'll be in the groove. You set up your queue online and you put it in the mailbox when finished. Blockbusters have the smell of dinosaur on them, don't you think?
Looks like we both love Reese to pieces.
Post a Comment