Sunday, February 26, 2006

De-cluttering for Christ

O.K. I've decided what to "give up" for Lent. I'm giving up clutter. My plan, during these 40 days of Lent, is to do one item per day. It may be a drawer, or a shelf, or a cupboard, but I will do one a day. My home is the domestic church and so I think it is fitting to spruce up this holy place.

How can this be more than just a spring cleaning? During Lent we are reminded to do three holy things: pray, give alms, and fast. I will pray during the de-cluttering. Anything useful will be given to charity. And, if I'm really on task, I'll do it fast.

I am not giving up puns for Lent.

4 comments:

Kathie Brinkman said...

This is not as bizarre as it sounds. Last year in preparation for our move I decluttered every closet, shelf, box, bin and drawer in our entire house and full basement and it was an incredibly spiritual experience for me. The flylady's hints on this were inspirational and practical--
www.flylady.net/pages/FLYingLessons_Declutter.asp

Anything that was still useful I gave away--no garage sales for me! It was liberating and emotionally and spiritually cathartic. I found myself releasing alot of negative emotions--fear, dissapointment, self-condemnation, and guilt--as I finally let go of all that stuff that I thought I would use "some day." As I bagged stuff up I prayed over it and asked God to bless it and bring it to the person who would be blessed by it. This spurred me on to give away more--I was blessing lots and lots of people by decluttering. This wasn't all about me anymore.

I got rid of tons of the kids clothes and toys. Why did I feel I had to hang on to all of Josh's wardrobe to pass on to Caleb (7 years age difference)? Did I really think that God couldn't provide more stuff for my kids (current or future ones) if we needed it? I used to think of this as being a good steward of our possessions; I came to believe that it was really selfishness and a lack of faith rooted in fear. As I let go of stuff I felt my heart lightening and my faith in God as my provider being renewed.

I also purged a ton of old high school and college pictures/stuff that represented a lifestyle and value system that I no longer believed in. Yes these were a part of my journey as a human being but as a new creation in Christ I felt I really needed to forget what was behind. That too was particularily spiritually freeing.

So, I strongly affirm your chosen discipline for Lent. If you invite Jesus into that process and do it unto the Lord, you will gain not only an uncluttered home, but an uncluttered heart--one that is more free to love Him and serve others. Blessings on your endeavor.

reader_iam said...

Gasp! Give up your puns? Perish that thought always from consideration.

Your punning is one of God's gifts to us ... Lent is about denying yourself, not us.

So don't give that another thought, 'kay?

XWL said...

In many ways cleaning in preparation for Easter/Passover would be very, very old school.

Kathie Brinkman said...

If you want some great tips on how to declutter login to the TLC "Clean Sweep" website: www.tlc.discovery.com/fansites/cleansweep/tips/tips_index.html

I got hooked on this show two years ago. It just makes soooo much sense. Tune in if you've never seen it before.