Sunday, September 10, 2006

9 or 11 Reasons Why I Plan to Watch ABC's "Path to 9/11"...

....and encourage those I know to do so, too:

1. I own the book upon which it's based. I bought it in the bargain bin at Costco. I haven't gotten around to reading it just yet. It may be flawed or incomplete. But that didn't stop "The DaVinci Code" from being made into a movie, either. [author's note: I know one is fiction.]

2. I am woefully underinformed about the machinations behind the scenes of the Islamic terrorists [Jihadis? Islamofascists? Take your pick. They're the same bunch to me.][author's note: I know not all Muslims are terrorists.]

3. Many of my readers do not watch much TV. If I recommend something, even if it's just so we'll have something to discuss at our upcoming vacation, they just might watch it. I was a schoolgirl when "Roots" appeared on ABC. I remember the hype and, more importantly, I remember the show. Slavery was bad. It was worthwhile to dramatize it for the TV generation of which I am a part.

4. Rudy Guiliani said the following in a recent interview with radio host Hugh Hewitt and it made a lot of sense to me:

HH: Rudy Giuliani, looking back now five years after the original attack, or the attack on 9/11, and three years after the invasion of Iraq, knowing what you know now, was the invasion of Iraq a good idea?
RG: Yes.
HH: Why?
RG: Yes, I believe that both the war in Afghanistan and the war in Iraq were necessary. Maybe they could have been explained differently, or particularly Iraq, maybe we could have handled it somewhat differently. But the reality is, the terrorist enemy that we face is multifaceted, and loosely organized. We're not facing just one organization. Their organizational structure is Islamic fanaticism, or however you want to describe it. There are a lot of ways you can describe it. But it's not as if we're facing just one organization, or one country. And it reminds me...when I sort of analogize it to my prosecutorial days, it reminds me of dealing with the mafia. In New York, we were dealing with five different families. If all you did was eliminate one of those families, all you were accomplishing is making the other four families stronger. So the way you have to deal with terrorism is, you've got to eliminate all the pillars of support as best you can, which means Saddam Hussein, al Qaeda in Afghanistan. You've got...you had to deal with Qadafi. Luckily, he stepped down. We have to deal eventually with Iran and Syria, and places that like that support terrorism.

5. It's still not too late to learn about the Jihadis. This is an excellent vocabulary test.

6. Like Lileks, 9/11 reset my clock. I missed it. I didn't see the looming threat of Islamic fundamentalist terrorism, nor did [sufficient numbers of people in] my government. Now I see it. Now let's defeat it. James Lileks wrote, in pertinent part:

Just so you know: 9/11 reset the clock for me. All hands went to midnight. I’m interested in what people did after that date, and if the movie shows that before the attack one side lacked feck and the other was feck-deficient, I don't worry about it. It's like revisiting Congressional debates about Hawaiian harbor security in November 1941. Y'all get a pass. The Etch-A-Sketch's turned over. Now: what have you said lately?

7. The previews look promising. [There are 6 video vignettes. Best to start at 1 and go to 6]. I loved Amy Madigan in Carnivale. She's worth watching, if nothing else.

8. I'm so tired. I've spent a bunch of time over at Althouse. Rather than bog you down with the nearly 500 comments, it boils down to this for me: it's a movie about a subject that interests me. I'm watching it.

9. I miss Jack Bauer of 24. I understand that Donnie Wahlberg's character in the movie is a composite of several CIA operatives. I'm definitely getting a Jack Bauer vibe about him/them.

10. Convert-or-die is a bad choice. I do NOT want to be martyred for not wearing a burkha.

11. I don't want my daughters martyred either. Knowledge is power. Power to the people.

No comments: