Monday, May 22, 2006

24 Hours is NOT Enough

Tonight was the final episode of "24". After last season's finale, where Jack Bauer was released to "walk the earth" like Carradine in Kung Fu, I was lulled into a false sense of security that story lines would be tied up in neat little packages. Curses to you, Joel Surnow! Sign me up for another day!

I saw the makings of several story lines for next season. Of course, there's Jack being held hostage by the Chi-coms, but there's also Chloe and her ex-husband, Audrey's dad, the SecDef, is right in line to make a run for office, Karen of Homeland Security and Bill of CTU can work out a commuter relationship, and Mrs. Logan [Gosh, I love Jean Smart!!] can make a go of it with Aaron, the Secret Service dude. But what of the President's evil mastermind, Rocket Romano? And what of David Palmer's brother? And what of Evelyn, the First Lady's aid? It's been such a gloriously fun, riveting ride that I'm tempted to buy the DVD so I can experience the season again in real time.

My one quibble is that the removal of Jack was not within the 24 hour parameter. He could not have been removed to the freighter and beaten within an inch of his life within the final 4 minutes. That took at least an hour.

1 comment:

Bob said...

I was hoping Martha would be allowed to whack the President, but, as Khan said to Kirk: "I've done far worse than kill you, Admiral. I've hurt you." Marvelously played, and the not-quite-smile on her face as her husband realized he'd been seriously had was sweet revenge.