Monday, July 07, 2008

Perspective

My husband accuses me of being Mario Andretti when it comes to changing lanes and driving fast. Tonight, the blue lights flashing in my rear view mirror affirmed his assessment. The County officer, driving in an unmarked car ['cept for that blue light, natch], wearing plain clothes, approached on the passenger side which I'd never seen before. I had the driver's license ready for him and was fishing out the registration when he asked me how fast I thought I was going. Acknowledging speeding, but within 10 miles, I asked him, "55?" If I had given an answer like that in law school, my crim law professor would've barked at me, "If you're making a statement, don't end it with a question! Stop talking like a female!" [true story, first day]. But, as I wasn't in my 1L Crim Law seminar, I opted for non-threatening female answer. I was offering the I'm trying to get home to my husband and children as the cop was walking back to the prowler.

For the amount of time he made me wait, I'm sure he could've Googled my name, called up my blog and figured out all he needed to know. I called Dave while I was waiting. I was much calmer than in previous pull-overs [experience will do that] and mentally ticking off whether the last 'faulty equipment' violation had fallen off my record yet and wondering if I'd have to hire a local lawyer or try this one pro se. Then I thought that it might've been good to be pulled over. Sometimes a little nudge like that keeps you within reason. Oh, crap. I guess I had it coming.

He sauntered back up to the car and handed me the carbon copy of the ticket. I don't know why, but he gave me a written warning. For which I thanked him.

9 comments:

Ellie's Parents said...

email me w/ the name - if you want

Ellie's Parents said...

i guess i should be more clear - the name of the officer

reader_iam said...

Ruthanne, a speed demon! Who knew?

birdie bob said...

In Ruth Anne's defense, the section of the highway in question has a 55 mph speed limit which will increase to 65 in about a mile. If you do 55, you'll be trampled in the stampede. The problem was apparently Ruth Anne's penchant to be a leader; in this case the "leader of the pack"!

AnneGero said...

How lucky can you get!!!!!!
You should be slowing down to conserve gasoline these days and creating a safer highway for all.
End of sermon.
MOM

Northern Light said...

If you were going 55, what was the warning for? Or...what WERE you going??

BTW, in my mind, there's nothing scarier than the idea of being pulled over by a cop. Well, maybe something, but not much.

Ruth Anne Adams said...

Let's just say that saying '55' was acknowledging going above the posted limit. Apparently, he had a higher number.

NL: There's complete freedom in total obedience. The corollary is that when one is disobedient, then one accepts the consequences of that, too. I have a lot of faith in our local constabularies, after living here and especially after seeing how well they responded when I was robbed last year, so, eh, I was o.k. with what I had coming. What if his little pull-over kept me from being in/causing a multi-car wreck? His job is probably much tougher than mine most of the time and he was crisply professional. Ellie's parents [above] works in the local courts and knows most of the guys...I'm waiting for the Paul Harvey rest of the story. I'm curious as all getout about the police discretion [to only issue a warning] in this case. Life is very fascinating, even if I'm the guinea pig.

P_J said...

There's complete freedom in total obedience.

That's a thoroughly biblical perspective. God frees us from sin so we can live as we were originally designed. Sometimes we're not so good at using our freedom, though :)

My type-A wife thinks the black and white signs give minimums, not maxiumums, and consequently has been pulled over a few times herself. She complains that her friends seem to get off with warnings while she gets tickets. I won't tell her your story!

Peggy Gero DaValt said...

It must be hereditary.....

I was not SO lucky. I live in Wisconsin and was clocked going 41 in a 25 mph zone.

The woman officer (Madison, WI) was relatively kind in giving me 0-10 over the speed limit which cost me $80 and 3 points on my license. She could have zapped me good as I was 16 mph over the limit and that fine would have been about $200 and 4 points.

The last ticket I had was from a State Patrol guy....he clocked me going 73 in a 55. I was guilty and paid the fine.

Sometimes....I think we just need to slow down, but often when you're in a hurry to get to work, it doesn't always work that way.

There is no consistency in the street posted limits in Madison.

Moral of story: drive the limits.

Peggy (a/k/a Margaret Andretti - Ruth Andretti's sister)