Saturday, July 05, 2008

How Cool Is That?

I've had a little bit of John Adams on the brain because of the HBO mini-series and the David McCulloch book which I'm reading. [Adams died on July 4, 1826, the same day as Thomas Jefferson, 50 years to the day after the signing of the Declaration of Independence.] Over at Pastor Jeff's place, he posted a little snippet from the musical "1776" which I had seen too long ago to remember much. I also have a friend, Tar Heel Mom, who write me notes that begin: Oh, Mrs. Adams! Dear Mrs. Adams! in reference to a song where the drafting committee talks to John that way.

But the 'how cool is that?' comes from the fact that I could have an idea from a friend-I've-never-met and go to our family's NetFlix account and call up the movie and view it instantly on my laptop and spend over two hours being delighted by it. Truly: how cool is that?

3 comments:

Kevin said...

Patriotic legend holds that Adams's dying words were "Thomas Jefferson still lives." (incorrect, as the third President had died three hours prior). Yet in life, the two were bitter personal and political rivalries, the respective chairmen of the nation's first political parties. After watching the series, do you think Adams could have said this?

Ruth Anne Adams said...

BTS: The HBO series did depict the legend as true, but only after it spent much time on the mending of the fences between the two men. After Abigail died, a mutual friend worked on both of them to reconcile. Adams wrote a brief letter to Jefferson and it began a 12 year correspondence between them prior to their deaths. McCullough's book deals with their late-in-life correspondence in the final chapter.

Anna Schneider said...

Hey cuz

congrats to David...glad to see you two are still dating. Hope all is well with the kids....we are great. love ya
cuz