Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Well, Now I'm Cynical

Four days after I donate $50 to Fred Thompson's campaign, he opts out. Of course, I've misspent $50 loads of times in my adult life. But in this instance, I was actually excited to see if he would catch his stride and run the race. I came to loathe the 'fire-in-the-belly' deficit he was accused of having [c'mon! isn't that just politico-speak for 'heartburn'?!], and the endorsement he received from NRLC went a long way to convincing me. What's left for me in the Republican party? Dregs.

Hmmm...maybe I can donate to Huckabee and watch him bow out next week.

5 comments:

P_J said...

I've been frustrated by Thompson himself and the coverage (or lack thereof) he's received. I find it hard to be excited about any of the remaining group. Where's the small government, strong defense, fiscally responsible GOP candidate? Sigh.

You sent $50 to Fred and he quit? What's Hillary's address?

P_J said...

P.S. Anchoress has a couple of good posts on Fred and the GOP today.

Anonymous said...

If all it takes is $50 to guarantee someone drops out, I may join you. Between the three of us, we could probably engineer a swift uncontested victory for the sole remaining candidate:

Kucinich or Gravel. I vote Gravel - odds are he won't last four years. *lol*

Anonymous said...

FWIW, my brother (who's active in GOP politics here) said this morning that, in California at least, most of Fred's support came from evangelicals, who flocked to him because they did not like Romney. McCain has a better chance of getting their votes than Romney.

Peggy Gero DaValt said...

And...the Republicans better get their collective "act" together or it will be Hillary or Obama as President.

Perhaps that's what the liberal press wants us to think.

As to a viable Republican candidate, I think Abe Lincoln has a much better chance at this point in time.

I have always voted Republican (having been reared in a conservative home) and gone to college at the home of the Republican Party (Ripon, WI), but I'm afeared we may be looking at donkeys and not ely-phants come November 2008.

Peggy :)
also a cynic...