Monday, August 20, 2007

Give Me an "A"

Zeke learned, practiced and mastered a couple letters today and we had a really good session. I promised him no computer for either of us until it was done. Amazing what can be accomplished when we're both working toward a reward.

4 comments:

P_J said...

Our four-year old is very interested in the letters in her name, so we've been working from there.

Ruth Anne Adams said...

PJ: One of the "tips" I got from this program is to not teach the letter names ["Ay"] but teach the sound[s] each letter makes. The titles will come later.

For instance: Dr. Seuss' ABC reads:
Big a,ay,ah,aw. Little a, ay, ah, aw. What begins with A?

Aunt Annie's alligator. A. A. A.

All the vowels voice about 3 or 4 different sounds and "C" and "G" and "S" voice two distinct sounds. "Y" is yuh, ih, eye, ee. It's fun to teach this way. The reading is a solveable puzzle.

4 year olds and narcissus work well together.

P_J said...

I hadn't heard that it put that way before, but we do work mainly on letter sounds. The little preschooler is the one who wanted to know what the letters in her name were.

She was out in the yard a while ago with a tiara on her head when the mailman drove up. Playing along, he asked her, "Are you the queen?"

"No," she said, indignantly. "I'm the king of the world!"

Yesterday her pre-K teacher told us the other kids were arguing over who got to sit next to her. She's not the shy wallflower.

Now if we can just channel that energy and confidence in the right direction...

Peggy Gero DaValt said...

Well...I KNEW that there was something good to come of that book, Ruth.

For those of you who don't know. I think Ruth read that book everyday of her young life. Probably drove the Bookie crazy...*lol*

Big A, little A, what begins with A. Aunt Annie's alligator, A, A, A.

Enjoy working with Zeke!!

Peggy :)