Sunday, August 19, 2007

I Thought the Fever Had Lifted...

...house fever that is. I thought my bad case of house fever was cured from some economic news that I cannot control but that affects me. Alas, I was wrong. I'm seeing all these houses for sale just sitting, sitting, sitting on the market. And I'm thinking: why not get a slow-mover at a steal? And then I realize that our little house might be one of those slow-movers, too. And someone may want to steal it from us.

Dave had a great idea: offer the builder [whose house has sat unsold for almost 2 years] our house plus some cash. Any real estate magnates out there who can tell me the tax consequences of a "swap" plus cash boot?

Aaah. It is great that dreaming is still free.

1 comment:

Peggy Gero DaValt said...

Ahhh.....I hear ya....I have made a mental decision to not sell my land or house. For what I pay, despite the appearances, it's cheap to live where I do.

When the market picks up, I will sell the land, pay off the loans and then rebuild my new house on my existing property.

If, by some stretch of the imagination, if I could do it without selling the land, that'd be sweet....but unless I land a huge promotion, it won't.

The market is softest because of the sub-prime housing market. In other respects, I believe the economy is not doing that badly.......

Peggy :)

PS - Did you mentally build your dream home. Oh please share!!