One of the chores that awaits me when we return from a vacation is unpacking. Certainly this includes the clothes, gear, new purchases, and a little bit of sand, but the best thing to unpack is the memories.
This year, Zeke and I walked to the edge of the ocean so the visit "counts." We had the Atlantic Ocean outside our window; it would've been a shame not to put a toe in it. While Zekie and I were at the edge of God's vast creation, I told him that this is the last time he'll put his feet in the ocean as a four year old. The next time, God willing, he'll be five. I told him that God made the ocean for us to enjoy and that it was huge. And I also told him that God's love for him is even bigger than this huge ocean. I said that our love for God is a drop of water and God's love for us is the ocean. I asked him what he wanted to ask of God for his fifth year. He thought a moment and then said, "I want God to help me be an obedient boy." That answer warmed my heart and I told Zeke it was a really sweet and holy thing to ask. I told him God gives him all sorts of help to be obedient--his parents, his guardian angels, his brain, his self-control--and let's just thank God together with a little prayer. We stood ankle-deep and said an Our Father and Hail Mary in thanksgiving for this wonderful gift of creation.
15 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment