Today's PT session was pretty good. Annie continues to do well and today she was really enthralled by the super-duper bubble-making machine she got to use. [The therapist has Annie stand while bubbles are blown and Annie reaches to pop them. This improves her balance and keeps her occupied.] She also played catch with Daddy [with over-the-head soccer throws] and got to drop into the ball crawl a few times.
The biggest challenge occurred at home. I was determined to arrive on time. I had Annie dressed and ready with time to spare. Then she had a little bit of a comeapart. I couldn't quite make it out, but she was mad that there wasn't a foot at the end of her left leg. She thrashed and cried for a while and was not to be reasoned with. It's very difficult to watch her awareness of something missing and still let her know that she is special and gifted and worthwhile even if her left foot is no more. That it made me late didn't really seem to bother her, but it added to my tension today.
15 years ago

1 comment:
Ruth -
Annie is a smart young lady. She's almost 4 and now she "knows" that she doesn't have a body part. I guess at 48, if I realized I didn't have a body part, I'd have more than a comeapart.
Kids are resilient and she is proof positive of that. I know that I can't give her her foot or toes back, but perhaps tell her stories of people without limbs doing extraordinary things may help...by example.
And...perhaps, she just wanted her mom, too.
When I tore my ACL, I had a major comeapart for months because I couldn't show dogs. But...after I quit feeling sorry for myself, I was determined to get better. I had the surgery, did the PT and in 6 months, I finished a dog....so...sometimes those of us who are very stubborn, or perfectionists don't like the things we're up against, but yet...after we think through them and realize that we CAN do it...watch out....
Dad always said to have PMA or a positive mental attitude. I think Annie does.
But sometimes human nature doesn't allow us to be that way all the time......and perhaps that explains her "comeapart."
I wish Annie love and strength and patience to cope with her loss. She'll be strong. She has you as a mom.
Peggy :-)
Post a Comment