Wednesday, February 21, 2007

"What Are You Giving Up for Lent?"

It's a question I've been asked for over 35 years. In grade school, it's a chance to connect with your peers and engage in a little spiritual one-upsmanship. "You're giving up chocolate? I'm giving up all sweets." Of course, then you're obligated and all your classmates are watching.

As a college kid, it was my chance to shun my faith. "Aw, that's hokey. Nobody does that anymore. I think it's more important to live your faith every day, not just during Lent." And that was the jump-off point for forgetting my faith entirely.

As a revert, I've taken the question as a chance to instruct by answering, "You know, sometimes Lent isn't about giving up things, sometimes it's about taking on new spiritual obligations." I have found in the south that in the last five years, the protestants are getting into this self-denial biz. It really does make Easter an especially good time of jubilation after the gray, thorny self-denial that accompanies a life following Jesus, taking up one's cross.

One year, I gave up nagging. You'll have to ask Dave what he thought of it. One year, I decided that my Lenten obligation was to say "Yes!" to whatever God presented that season. It was all well and good until a couple nefarious folks heard about it and wheedled a Yes! out of me to rejoin a group at Church. Last year, I gave up clutter around the house for Lent and that has carried on pretty well.

This year, I am embarassed to say what I'm giving up, so I shan't. I'm also slated to do a couple big projects--taxes and blog maintenance/editing throughout Lent. I'd love to read what this year's Lent holds for you.

1 comment:

JLF said...

I've been taking on new things for Lent for several years (joining a Bible study, daily scripture reading, etc). This year I'm turning it around and giving something up. For the first time in many years (Ok, for the first time ever) I'm really looking forward to this season of preparation!