Today is Ash Wednesday, one of two church-obliged days of fasting [the other is Good Friday]. The Church, in her wisdom, is quite generous with what counts as "a fast"--no in-between meals and two meals smaller than normal. [We are also to abstain from meat today.] For people who are too old or young or infirmed, they are dispensed with the requirement to fast.
For me, if I try to count up what I ate and compare it to what I plan to eat, it really ruins the whole point of "fasting" because I find myself obsessing with the food itself. NOT GOOD! So for me, what I do is this: I don't eat. I go as long as I can without eating. When I hear my stomach growl or get a headache, I might drink some water or eat a piece of bread. I might take some Tylenol. Or, knowing what a hungry body does, I might hear its growling and wait for about 10-15 minutes. That hungry feeling does go away. It'll be back in about an hour. These are moments of prayer, if one wishes. Think something like, "Lord, I give you my hunger. Feed me with your Word." It's very simple, really. Turn off the bodily needs and tune into the spiritual ones.
DFC Update: the small drawer to the left of the vanity. Formerly filled with old Mary Kay compacts, discontinued colors and the stuff I rarely use. Now set up with acrylic lipstick holders and the stuff I do use.
15 years ago

3 comments:
the small drawer to the left of the vanity
Why aren't more furniture items named after sins?
XWL: Let's rename the fridge. "I cleaned out the crisper in the gluttony."
A Lazy-Boy really is a testament to sloth, though, don't you think?
OK this little exchange inspired an entire immodest post assigning furniture or household objects to each of the deadly sins.
(I've 'borrowed' both of your suggestions, they can't be topped)
Post a Comment