Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Veep Debate

I have a small blog with little traffic. Much of my traffic in the past several days is coming from google hits for the Clinton-Lazio debate. You think people are interested in how a male politician debates a female politician? My sources say 'yes'.

And I saw that Gwen Ifill, moderator for the Veep debate, recently broke her ankle but still will moderate. It's also all over the 'net that she's got a political book coming out in January 2009 mostly about Obama. I think it's probably too late to replace her, even if it were desireable to do so. However, I do think that a disclosure from her at the top of the debate might be in order. This side of judgment day, there's no one who's completely impartial. Just put the info out there and let the voters decide. I suspect she'll ask all the questions that need to be asked. She'll work very hard to appear fair in her questions. I don't think she wanted to become the story.

I had a softball coach who reminded me that there were three teams on the field: the home team, the visitors and the umpires. The goal was to beat the other team so soundly that it didn't matter if the umpires came from the other team's home town.

2 comments:

Peggy Gero DaValt said...

Well the moderator can't do any worse than that Nancy Pelosi did when calling for the vote in the US House of Representatives the other day.

My feeling is that Governor Palin and Senator Biden will do just fine in light of the current anxiousness facing all of us.

Personally, I'd like to see Governor Palin "hit a homa, Bowa."

Godspeed to all involved!!

Peggy :)

Kathie Brinkman said...

I actually watched the debate tonight--surprised? I found myself getting a stomach ache a few times when listening to Gov. Palin's non-answers. I think she certainly held her own in the debate and did better than what was expected of her. And I give her credit for that. However, I found her "Joe six pack and Hockey Mom" comments annoying, staged and too cutesy. But I could also see how many people would find her personality refreshing and likable--I just didn't. I did like Joe Biden's unrehearsed sounding answers and his ability to actually answer the questions being asked. However, my ultimate vote will go to the ticket whose policies I believe will do the most good for our country. And watching a debate is not going to tell me that. I'll need to read the candidates websites for myself to find out all the differences on the issues between these tickets. From the basics that I already do know, I don't agree 100% with either candidate on all the issues. And yet, I do trust the American people as a whole and I believe that whoever does get elected will be the right choice for our country for this season of history.