Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Simple Gold Ring

I've noticed something about Sarah Palin, and perhaps you have, too. She wears only a plain gold wedding ring. There's no diamond or anything flashy. We now know that there was a little hurry-up reason for the Palins to get married 20 years ago and so they eloped and got the job done. In the ensuing years, if it had been important enough, I'm sure they would have gotten her a diamond. But the utter practicality and simplicity of that little gold ring says something to me. Me, the wedding-waiting-to-happen fairy tale princess who had a 13 month engagement and the biggest, splashiest most regal military wedding we could pull off. She was way ahead of the curve. She knew that a wedding is a day; a marriage is for life.

10 comments:

Renee said...

How true.....

Peggy Gero DaValt said...

As Dad Gero used to say..."the first baby can come any time...after that, they take 9 months."

I like the fact you noticed that ring.

I have become lightning quick at checking left hands on men for that ring......*giggle*

Northern Light said...

I have a gold band, too, mainly cuz I don't like anything sticking out off my finger to bother me.
More interesting is something I've been thinking to write about: Sarah Palin does not have pierced ears! The closeup of her at the convention shows clearly she's got clip earrings on! I love it! I don't have pierced, either, and I thought I was the only one left! Ear piercing is mutillation!

Northern Light said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ruth Anne Adams said...

NL: My mother, you and Palin could form an unblemished lobe sorority. I didn't get mine pierced until I was 21 and I went to the college infirmary to do it. My father forbade it while we were under his care, saying something un-PC like 'if you want holes in your head, go off and join the gypsies.'

BUT: Palin does have a tattoo. She lost a bet and has the Alaska big dipper on her ankle. In the Army, I saw the disparity between the officers and enlisted in the tattoo category. As an officer, I resisted any urge to get a tattoo. But I didn't have to resist much.

You could have an anniversary band encrusted with channel-set diamonds and nothing would be sticking up...perhaps I could help this cause much the same way I helped the cell phone charge.

Peggy Gero DaValt said...

Anyone want a used diamond? *grin*

This would be a good post on my own blog.

What do you do with a gorgeous platinum heart-shaped diamond with 12 channel sets on it after a divorce?

I have no children to give it to. I surely could use the money that I'd get for it, but there is some sentimental value of course attached to it.

No tatoos here....I did get my left ear re-pierced 3 weeks ago and now can wear all the lovely jewelry I bought at a Silpada party.......

Spice my Gordon had my SSN tattoed on her for security. Now the dogs get microchipped.

And...I think that Dad's comment was more like..."if God wanted you to have another hole in your head, He'd have given you one."

Perhaps that was Mom's comment.

Peggy :)

Northern Light said...

You're kidding--Palin has a TATOO?? YUK. I still support her, though. Beauty and tatoos are only skin-deep.

Million Dollar Mary said...

peggy's right.....that's what was said to us, but i believe it was mom who said it. i remember going to portage to get my i.d. when i turned 18 and i got my ears pierced on the same day...

peg...you have nieces :) (and, of course a really nice sister who LOVES diamonds...)...jk...lol

is the diamond platinum? or is the setting platinum? i'm confused...lol

love ya,
mary

Kathie Brinkman said...

"in a hurry up reason" so Sarah was a pregnant teen huh? And now her daughter is pregnant. How does this sit with you as a Catholic?

Ruth Anne Adams said...

Premarital sex? A sin.
Premarital sex resulting in a pregnancy? A baby who needs a home.
Premarital sex resulting in a pregnancy where mom and dad get married? A family.

Another route:
Premarital sex? A sin.
Premarital sex resulting in a pregnancy terminated by an abortion? Murder.

After the sin of premarital sex, the Palins chose the better path.

Also: She was not a teen. She was a college graduate aged 24 when she got married. Husband Todd is about the same age.