
What can you tell from this picture? Blackberry in the right hand, baby son in the left. They shop at CostCo [best baby wipes in the world]. So here's the constituency: CostCo Conservatives.
Many more backstage pics on Meghan's blog.
On Marriage, Motherhood and Catholic living; looking at things from a 'Glass-is-half-full' perspective.

14 comments:
I still have mixed feelings about this veep pick. Being the non-politically informed type as I am, I am looking at Gov. Palin from a fellow mom of a kid with DS. Little Trig will need all the love and care that a typical baby needs and then about 100% more--even without any health complications. I truly hope that her son's development and her relationship with him doesn't suffer because of this campaign. Babies with DS need so much more routine than typical babies. They need the security of eating and sleeping and playing at regular times each day and the consistency and security of a constantly present parent or caregiver. I just don't know. Of course, no one asked me my opinion. Perhaps a good thing that will come out of this veep choice is that maybe the Republican party will look more closely at their positions on the rights and support services available to people with disabilities. I guess time will tell.
I just heard journalist/commenter George Will [whose son Jon, born in 1972 with Down] thought that Palin's pick would bring immediate and good press to families touched by Down. I have to say that my husband shared equal duty with me in parenting, especially when the girls were little. The only thing he couldn't do was make the milk. But he did everything else, and some things much better than I did. I do not equate twins with having a child with DS, but this is my closest experience. I see Governor Palin's husband is right on top of the parent stuff. Further, three older daughters all help out. In my cousin's situation [born the 7th child in her family], the dynamics of big family click in and that also allows for bonding within the family structure.
Here's something to consider: If Todd Palin were running, would you ask the same questions in the same way?
RAA - I considered your Todd question even before you asked it since, like Kathie noted, this veep choice raises some obvious parenting questions for myself and others and since, we too, are doing the co-parenting thing.
I think what I've decided, for me, is that NO parent of an infant, regardless of the child's health/developmental status, should consider running for office. The child should be job one, and the child can't be job one if you're on the campaign trail or meeting with heads of state, etc. I think once a child is a little older and somewhat self-sufficient then it's a different story.
My opinion, and I know no one asked, is that this selection raises serious doubts about the judgment of McCain and Palin. I'm very uneasy with this ticket.
NO parent of an infant, regardless of the child's health/developmental status, should consider running for office.
I think that would've excluded JFK, RFK [his 10th child was born after he was killed] and possibly even Teddy Roosevelt. There might be others.
For a politician, it's their job or career. Do you apply that rule to yourself as well? Are we relegating the running of this country to post-menopausal women and men married to post-menopausal women. [Fred Thompson has a few little ones IIRC.] John Edwards certainly would be eliminated [Jack and Emma Claire toddled all over that campaign].
I recognize your misgivings. I believe they are relevant because being female is indeed different than being a male. But it's also good to challenge what you see as the role of politicians in national office. Or would you apply this rule to state-wide and local government as well?
I think the key word in my statement is infant.
ED
On a lighter note, after the announcement in Dayton on Friday, the candidates were filmed browsing through Buckeye Corner and Sarah Palin was buying an Ohio State outfit for Trig. As a native Buckeye, I'm certain that they'll now carry Ohio with ease!
RAA: "Here's something to consider: If Todd Palin were running, would you ask the same questions in the same way?"
Maybe, maybe not. I definately think that both parents should significantly participate in the nurture and raising up of their children . . .However, I believe that for those first two years of life in particular Mom's presence is irreplaceable. Dad's are great, needed, vital but they are not Mom. We are given the God-appointed role as primary nurturer, comforter and relationship builder. Can we delegate that role if we need to or choose to, of course. But I still believe that babies are best cared for by their Mom. You and Dave have given your children a very rare, beautiful, and enriched early childhood with each of you caring for your kids for half of the day. But what you all do is just not reality for most folks. And frankly, with all the campaigning, travel, strain of the road, she will not be able to really mentally or emotionally be 100% present for this little guy. Is Dad Palin on the road too? Or just for the start, then he's going home with the kids? I know this all sounds very anti-female, sexist and old fashioned, but that's how I feel. Particularly when talking about a child with a disability. The whole family will be continually dealing with the ramifications of DS for Trig's whole life. That greiving and accepting process takes time and must be repeated through many, many stages of your child's life.
Fascinating debate, but I don't get it. A competent woman can multi-task, even when the tasks are as important as parenting a Down Syndrome child (and four others!) and being Vice President. You've inspired me to write about why...
I read Northern Lights post on her own blog, but I'm still not convinced. No one really understands what life is like raising a special needs kid until they've done it. If the McCain/Palin ticket gets elected I truly do hope that my misgivings are wrong--for Trig's sake and Mom Palin. But, I still hold to my misgivings.
I went to NL's blog and came away unconvinced. No big deal. We can respectfully debate these issues. But the thing is it is highly doubtful that folks like KB and myself will persuade RAA and NL; just like they won't persuade me and KB.
Herein lies the possible larger problem for McCain: While RAA and NL are energized by the Palin pick, there are probably just as many people, like me and KB, that are not. Now factor in that we lean conservative (I'm making an assumption about KB, based on her reading this blog, even though I don't know her or her politics; I just don't think a liberal or liberal lean would stay tuned here), and I think McCain has lost as many votes as he has gained by selecting Palin.
I hope we can all agree that McCain could have chosen equally (or better) qualified veeps that would still energize the base while not alienating fence-sitters like myself (and possibly KB?). It's unfortunate.
Also unfortunate: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080901/pl_nm/usa_politics_palin_dc
Not saying a new life is unfortunate, but I don't think any of us view it as ideal for a 17yo much less the republican ticket.
-ED
PS - I apologize to KB in advance if I am making unfair/unsafe assumptions or am otherwise making her uncomfortable by further dragging her into this debate or lumping her views with mine.
.
This is going to be fun. History will be made, one way or another, and it looks more likely now that it will be the right history.
Even more Hillary supporters will go for McCain now. Obama is no longer a near certainty. Heaven forbid something happens to McCain, but I believe Palin would rise to the occasion. She has the right attitude. Everyone knows Obama is NOT ready for POTUS, Palin is only for the VP. Look at Dan Quayle.
YEY SARAH PALIN! YEY John McCain! Great pick! The 1st woman for the GOP VP? SCORE!
She's conservative! SCORE! She's a Governor! SCORE! She's pro-drilling! She's a hunter! SCORE! She doesn't believe the MMGW Scam! SCORE! She's a hockey Mom and played basketball in school! SCORE! She's pro-life! And she respects women! SCORE! She fights corruption! SCORE! She's high-energy! SCORE! She's tough! SCORE! She's got 5 kids! SCORE! Her son is going to Iraq in the Armed Forces! SCORE! She's married to a Blue-collar professional! SCORE! She's smart! SCORE! She's young! SCORE!
And she's a Hotty to boot! SCORE! The Left is going to go nuts! SCORE!
.
absurd thought -
God of the Universe says
never elect a woman
who's a conservative
she's just a gender traitor
.
absurd thought -
God of the Universe says
just HOPE to pay more taxes
DREAM about high fuel prices
CHANGE PROGRESS to move backwards
.
All real freedom starts with freedom of speech. Without freedom of speech, there can be no real freedom.
.
Philosophy of Liberty Cartoon
.
Help Halt Terrorism Today!
.
USpace
:)
.
I was hoping for Governor Palin to be chosen but did not believe it would happen. I'm only in my twenties but I think I now have an idea what it was like when Reagan first came on to the national stage. I made this video in tribute to Sarah:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quvBbcFDPI0
Hi everyone -
I'm going to post here....I have a totally different perspective than all of you.
(1) I am a single, divorced 50-year old woman, with no children.
(2) I work in the most liberal place on earth (Madison, WI).
(3) I know that I was so energized when I heard of Sarah Palin's pick as part of John McCain's VP ticket.
(4) I'm thrilled to bits that this totally blindsided the liberal press and the liberal left. What a coup!!
(5) In this day and age, many of you, Kathie and Ruth, have a more traditional family life, moreso than others. You choose to raise your children this way. Sarah Palin and Todd Palin choose to be in the public limelight and raise their children as they are.
(6) Kudos to them for not aborting a DS baby. I have a cousin who is DS and she is the joy of everyone that knows her. I have a dear friend (MR) from Madison who accompanies me to MB to see my sister, and she has a nephew with DS. Kathie...I had no idea that you and Matt had a DS baby. It takes lots of love and dedication to raise a child with a handicap/disability. Kudos to all in my life that do that.
(7) All-in-all I think that this is a win-win ticket for all involved - because in this country we have a choice of how we live, how we work, how we raise our children and how we vote.
I'm one that is totally thrilled with John McCain's choice. This will be a tight race, but for me, I hope that Sen. McCain and Gov Palin become President McCain and Vice President Palin!!
Just my two cents!!
Peggy :=)
One problem is the virtual disappearance of domestic help in our culture. This has put all the pressure on mom and dad. Also smaller families have made it hard for many to imagine there being anyone around to help out. I estimate that if Governor Palin asked for volunteer domestic helpers she'd be overwhelmed with responses.
Post a Comment