Tuesday, July 15, 2008

DVD Reviews: Curb Your Enthusiasm and Charlie Wilson's War

We spent a couple evenings watching the sixth season of "Curb Your Enthusiam" starring former Seinfeld creator Larry David. The schtick is that David is a real-life noodge, obsessed with unwritten social rules and unaware of what most polite people internalized at age 8. He spends the shows getting into trouble, lying and apologizing. His show is unscripted and well-cast and usually quite funny. But this is the sixth turn on this ride and I'm getting a little tired of the schtick.

Charlie Wilson's War, starred Tom Hanks as a real-life Congressman from Texas' 2nd District who got interested in the Afghan's plight in the early 80s when they were attack by the USSR. It was the undeclared front in the cold war and Afghanis were willing to fight. His challenge was to finance their cause with untraceable weaponry. The movie co-starred Julia Roberts and Phillip Seymour-Hoffman as a Houston socialite and a CIA agent who shared Wilson's determination to help the Afghanis. It was a good little picture and the bonus features were excellent. What an interesting chapter in our recent history. Tom Hanks as producer kept it more on the facts and less on the preaching to great effect.

1 comment:

Kathie Brinkman said...

matt and I rented "Charlie Wilson's War" recently too. It got too confusing for me too quickly and I wasn't really able to follow the storyline, but I love Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts so I just enjoyed their acting. I think I've watched too many kids' movies in the past 13 years; I usually can't follow any adult movie that requires alot of thinking. Oh well.