Monday, December 24, 2007

The Calm...

...precedes the storm? I am ready. Last night, Dave and I watched "Extras" on DVD [starring Ricky Gervais, the star of the original "The Office"], while we wrapped presents. They are queued up at the door. The gifts that won't be going are downstairs under the tree which the children have not yet discovered. This morning, I felt that we must have the taste of Christmas: I made mom's Melting Moments cookies and my mother-in-law's recipe for pecan/nut bars. They are assembled on a plate for us and a very small one for Santa. The kids are watching Bugs Bunny and begging to go to Aunt Teri's because that's where Christmas is. They have no idea what awaits them one floor below.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did Santa arrive on schedule? Did he remember to leave enough batteries? Merry Christmas to you and yours, Ruth Anne!

Trooper York said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family. Thanks for the historical perspective on the Althouse blog. I hope I didn't you too mad with some of my silly posts. I will go a long way for a joke and sometimes it's a place where not everyone wants to go. I always enjoy your comments and hope to read a lot more in the new year. God bless you and your family, have a very Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy new year.

reader_iam said...

Ruth Anne: Wonderful to talk to you on Christmas Eve.

After the pageant, "Son" said: I need to talk to that Mrs. Adams again. I didn't mean that angels **don't** talk in old languages, just that they don't have to.

LOL. Go figure.

(RAA, feel free to explain, if you wish. I didn't hear the whole of that section of the conversation [since I was moving in and out of the room, and even took another, very brief call, on a land line--did you notice?], specifically, the intro or, really, the outro]; I can just about imagine, given Son, but I don't know.)

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy the **rest** of the 12 Days of Christmas. ...

Ruth Anne Adams said...

Reader: Son sang "Angels We Have Heard on High" and when he was done I asked, "isn't it cool that angels speak Latin?" and he said that they don't only speak "the old language." I concurred that the old testament angels likely spoke Hebrew and that his angels speak to him in the language he understands best.

Also: I just loved that he played one of The Wise Men and kept saying he's one of 'the 3 kings from orient are' which is where I got him to ask you if 'orient tar' is the equivalent of 'Asian pitch.' That one got completely garbled in translation.

Safe travels!