Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Blogger Meet-Up

I know many bloggers. Some I knew as college friends. Some were my professors at law school. Some are related to me. But Sunday was the first time I ever met someone in person who I'd only known through blogging. I can tell you I was nervous. First impressions and one chance and all that. And then, being a little AR, I was concerned about the logistics. And then I was concerned about my family making a good impression, too.

When we travel, I like to stop at restaurants that are kid-friendly, but which have waitresses. [I'm on vacation. Why should I fetch the food?] That limits us to Cracker Barrels, Friendly's, and Bob Evanses mostly.

Annie and Jacques arrived as our food did. The first thing J did was point to his cheek, where I dutifully planted a big kiss. J, even in a wheelchair, is a big hulking bear of a man. Annie is lithe and trim and moves like a woman 30 years her junior. She is sunny and upbeat and delightful. We ran through conversation so quickly it amazed me. Perhaps there's something in a blogger's personality that borders on A.D.D. We never really finished a topic, but a new one would emerge. Dave quietly evaporated with the three wee ones to the van where an onboard DVD player and classic Looney Tunes were playing. We continued our conversation. Dave called me on the cell phone encouraging me to return to the vehicle for the last small push home. It had been over an hour. I swear it felt like 5 minutes. [I had a similar experience when I was on the phone with Sippican, ostensibly ordering my children's table and chair set.]

We lingered in the parking lot with pictures and what have you. Annie showed her prowess at putting J back in the vanishing iVan. He had to cooperate by leaning back in his chair at just the right time and she had to balance everything just right. It was a perfectly choreographed ballet.

And then we drove off, my mind whirling at the joy of meeting someone whose work I so admire, both on and off her blog.

No comments: