I was doing some mind-numbing work today and a thought flitted over the transom of my brain: you are a kept woman. Hmmm. Am I? What's keepin' me?
You're doing a job that is numbing your mind. Why do you?
You drive home to the same little house every night. Why do you?
You wake to the same three little faces every morning. Why do you?
You tell your piddly little stories to the same man every day. Why do you?
Kept: [definition #2e] to have or maintain in an established position or relationship -- "keep a mistress"-- often used with on -- "kept the cook on".
I work my job because it helps pay the bills and it keeps my kids in pediatricians and prostheticians. I live in the same little house because it's sufficient, modest and homey and it's where I keep my stuff. I wake to three sweet faces because I can't keep away. I love my man in big and small ways every day because I made a promise to him and God in front of witnesses and I mean to keep my promise.
My life? I call keepsies!
15 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment