Monday, April 02, 2007

'24' Recap: A Snoozer

The last hour of '24' was a snooze-fest. Even President Palmer shooting up adrenaline couldn't revive me. The range he displayed was very limited, too: seething with teeth clenched, seething and wincing, seething and sweating. Yawn. I actually missed the Russky chopping off his arm so as to "disable" the homing device [I told you, I couldn't stay awake]. He left a Hansel-like trail of blood that did the trick for our intrepid CTU team. Karen Hayes [dubbed "not Helen Mirren" on Lileks] had a nice telephonic moment with her husband-in-California-CTU-HQ. When did Bill Buchanan become Basil Exposition? I'm all for changing up the pace a little [there's usually a level spot on roller-coasters before the final dizzying spins], but the low-action must still drive the plot forward. The plot device of a constitutional crisis wherein the Supreme Court is called in to resolve the conflict is so been-there-done-that that it holds no dramatic tension. Hats off to the Eel [Jimmy MacNichol] for portraying a patriot under that slimy exterior.

Previews indicate that Jack gets shot in the chest next week. Well we know he's always suited up when he goes into these things, so either his armor failed him or they're really setting up Mike Doyle [played by Ricky Schroeder in the credits--when did he switch back to Ricky from Rick?]

If you missed it, you didn't miss too much. Joel Surnow: it's o.k. I still love the show. Just don't make Jack dress like Evel Knievel and jump over a tank of sharks. That would be bad.

3 comments:

Peggy Gero DaValt said...

To understand why Rick went from Rick to Ricky you needed to tune into the Tonight Show w/Jay Leno last week.

Rick (now Ricky again) said that it was hard not to be called Ricky, so everyone knew him by that so he wanted to go back to it.

Guess it all has to do with how the public perceives ya, huh?

I can't imagine ever being called anything but Peggy. Not too many call me Margaret. Probably the same bodes true for Ricky Schroeder.

I watched the Gators defeat OSU. I love that kid with the ponytail...*lol*

AnneGero said...

Peggy, That kid with the pony tail is Joachim Noah, son of the famous French tennis player, Yannich Noah, who was, I think, the last Frenchman to win the French Open. NOah certainly played a wonderful gam, too. So much for the Big 10!!!.
Mom

Peggy Gero DaValt said...

Thanks, Mom for that awesome tidbit...you sports jock, you!!

Amazes me how many "kids" of top athletes are playing in the college ranks these days....

I'm glad that OSU didn't win. They did the Badgers in twice this year and it's all because of a 7' guy that will probably not give a rip about academics and go pro. I give the Gators a huge high 5 for sticking around as a "team" to stay in college. Perhaps, they'll jump ship, too. Time will tell at NBA draft day.

Gives new meaning to the term student athlete, huh? I dare them all to try to take 17-19 credits a semester and do sports.....it probably can't be done, unless you truly are a student.

*okay* off my soapbox...

Peggy :-)