Tuesday, January 23, 2007

State of the Union and Missing My Dad

It's funny how grief works sometimes. I go for a while, not really thinking much about my dad's passing. Then out of the blue, I have a strong recollection of him and it comes over me like a wave. I must've acquired my interest in politics from the many Sundays I watched Dad watch the talking heads shows. I mostly watched him because his reactions were loud, strong and visceral. I watched presidential addresses in the same way. He used to always disregard the media punditry by sardonically saying, "Now they're going to tell you what he just said."

It's still true. I miss you, Dad.

3 comments:

Peggy Gero DaValt said...

It must have been the day, Ruth.

I attended the funeral service for my friend Marte Wetzel's mom, Ardys A. Elwell. While there, vivid memories of our family gathering and the things Mom did to prepare, the things we did to prepare.....

The only difference was the eulogy. The minister (Methodist) read Mrs. Elwell's obituary. My traveling companion mentioned to me that it would be so hard to get up to eulogize a parent.

I understand those sentiments. Perhaps that is why Tim Jensen said that our dad's funeral was very unique. I never got him to expand upon that...maybe in time.

And...you're correct, Dad always watched the talking heads on Sunday (as I continue to do)...and I continue to yell at most of the guests,...especially Teddy....grrrrrr...

To me...so much hype is evident for the 2008 race. Please folks....let George Bush continue to be President until then. He's a lame duck, but as I recall, a term is for 4-years.

I, for one, am not relishing the idea of another President Clinton.

I believe Dad would echo those sentiments.

Sissy Willis said...

Oh, my. A very touching memento of your dad that rings so true.

AnneGero said...

Ruth Anne,
I missed the State of the Union speech because I was bowling (Tuesday night) YOu are correct. Dad always was very sure of what he wanted to say about our leaders. He did not like the after comments, so would shut them off or watch something else, if he could find that. Glad that you and Peggy are keeping up with all the chatter on Sunday mornings. I usually listen to music as Dad and I would do each Sunday. I got some new CDs with piano players which I enjoy and I know you would, too.
Get rid of that sore throat.
Mom