Thursday, March 30, 2006

DVD Review: "Capote"

After the American Idol results show, we watched last year's "Capote." Its titular character, played by Oscar winner Phyllip Seymour Hoffman, writes the book that will change his life, "In Cold Blood." In the added features, Hoffman made a special point to say this is not a bio-pic, but, rather, the story of a 5 year period in Capote's life which capped his creative zenith and began his personal decline into alcoholism. I am just old enough to have vague recollections of Truman Capote as a pop culture icon [much like Andy Warhol in my mind]. In his later years, he was quite the regular on the talk show circuit, which I often watched after school [Mike Douglas and Merv Griffin] and on Friday nights when I'd be allowed to watch the first segment of Johnny Carson. But I can't remember much more about him. In my recollection, he could really just be Rich Little's impression of him.

The film is quite stark and the cinematography is reminiscent of the 60s era which it covers. There's no quick cut, moving camera, or special effects. It is an actor's picture and Hoffman is in almost every frame. He's really quite deserving of his Oscar. One of Capote's friends was Nelle Harper Lee, known to her readers as Harper Lee, author of "To Kill a Mockingbird." The actress who played this role, Catherine Keener, was balanced and quite excellent. In life and in this film, Nelle was the moral center.

The movie is quite dramatic, but quite restrained. I am left wanting to reread "To Kill a Mockingbird," and to read "In Cold Blood." Or, maybe I'll just watch the movies.

DFC Update: I cleaned off the stairs going to the basement.

1 comment:

Peggy Gero DaValt said...

Hi sister, Ruth -

Hmmmmm...now that makes you sound like a nun....*grin*

I enjoyed reading your post about "Capote." I saw the movie with my movie-bud (read that as wannabe movie critic), Anne, who is one of my dog show friends. She and I loved the movie.

I kinda chuckled at your recollection of the movie, but the 5 years between you and me may be the difference. I remember when the movie came out...in the 60s I think. I remember seeing the poster for "In Cold Blood" in Hamilton (or was it Princeton), but I want to say that it was a huge deal. I was fascinated with the idea of a non-fiction novel. I remember being allowed to watch the movie on TV at home, and being curious about the mentality of these two men....how a simple robbery could have gone so wrong.

I didn't recall the Harper Lee character, but did find that fascinating in the recent movie. I agree that Catherine Keener did a great job. She was also, I believe the love interest in the 40 Year Old Virgin (which is a hoot).

Philip Seymour Hoffman did deserve the award for Best Actor. He became Truman Capote, even more so than Jocquin Phoenix became Johnny Cash in "Walk the Line."

There were many fine movies (of which I saw too many to list here, lest you think I never do anything except see movies...which is true...*grin*) that deserved nominations by the Academy. They do manage to keep me entertained....after all...what good is popcorn without a movie?

Speaking of seeing movies, you need to see "The Godfather of Green Bay." It's hysterical.

Take care, sis-tah.