Today we took Annie to see our local pediatric orthopedic specialist. He looked at current x-rays and deemed that Annie's progress is good. Yay! Later on a related matter, Dave followed up with the CostCo pharmacy to see why Annie's pain medication [roxicet elixir] is not in [they've had the prescription for 10 days]. Turns out, no one in these parts uses "Roxie". We filled both prescription in Baltimore before we left town after her surgery and follow-up. We have come to love Roxie and rely upon it to make a cranky toddler with 5 rods and a skewer in her leg feel better. Annie has been using it less often or going for longer intervals between doses, but, darn it: WE NEED OUR ROXIE!! [Dave asks Annie if she is "jonesin' for some Roxie" or if she has "a Roxie monkey on her back." He's just joking. Mama and Daddy are hooked, however.]
Dave called the local ortho who recommended Tylenol III with codeine and, in fact, called in the prescription for us. Meanwhile, I called the PA hotline to the ortho in Baltimore, seeking help. Turns out that the experts in Baltimore DO NOT like codeine. First off, the girl's been doing great with the Roxie--no allergies, no major loss of appetite, no constipation--so why change? Secondly, there are studies that the codeine may impede healing time [I'm told]. In this tie, I'm gonna' break it for the International Center for Limb Lengthening and Annie's primary surgeon.
Tomorrow, the family fun adventure is: [1] go to CostCo to retrieve the written Rx and [2] go to a mom and pop pharmacy in Thomasville to fill the prescription for Roxie.
15 years ago

1 comment:
We just got home from our family vacation and I'm catching up by reading your posts that I missed. I'm so pleased to hear Annie's improving!! What a blessing. And, by the way, not that you asked for my opinion, but (apparently I'm giving it anyway) I sure am always inclined to go with the treating physician who has more experience with these specific problems. Glad you found Roxie, even if it required a drive - great family bonding time!!
Post a Comment