Friday, April 01, 2005

Taking Wagers for the Next Pope

I am hoping that this man, Francis Cardinal Arinze, is named the next pope. I had the privilege of receiving Communion from him when he came to Wake Forest University a few years ago. His nephew was a graduating senior and Cardinal Arinze delivered the commencement address. My spiritual director is the Catholic Campus Ministry priest at Wake Forest U. and he let Dave and me in to celebrate Mass. The Cardinal is an orthodox, faithful leader.

No matter who it is, however, I'm very certain that the Holy Spirit has His influence on the proceedings. When Jesus selected St. Peter to be the Rock [Cephas] upon which He would build his church [St. Peter's bones are indeed under the altar at the basilica---how's that for being literal?], He also promised that "and the Gates of Hell shall not prevail against it."

1 comment:

Ruth Anne Adams said...

Yes, of course, Matt. I even read comments to weak, old entries. :)
[Notice tongue...firmly in cheek.]