The Army calls it "outside the wire". The Navy calls it "over the rail". The Chaplain is always the last hand you touch, the last voice you hear, praying with you before you go over the rail on a small boat mission. When you come back, it's usually the Chaplain who meets you at the deck edge and hauls your waterlogged self back onboard, with a cold bottle of water or hot cup of coffee appropriate to the season. You know as well as I that military chaplains are some of the hardest-working people in the service.
For more on the special role of Army chaplains, I recommend Ken Wales and David Poling's book Sea of Glory.
3 comments:
Thank you for that, Ruth Anne. I occasionally visit that site, but haven't been there in quite a while. Very powerful story.
I always pray for vocations. Some prayers seem to have been answered in that priest. God bless him.
Thank you again for sharing this.
The Army calls it "outside the wire". The Navy calls it "over the rail". The Chaplain is always the last hand you touch, the last voice you hear, praying with you before you go over the rail on a small boat mission. When you come back, it's usually the Chaplain who meets you at the deck edge and hauls your waterlogged self back onboard, with a cold bottle of water or hot cup of coffee appropriate to the season. You know as well as I that military chaplains are some of the hardest-working people in the service.
For more on the special role of Army chaplains, I recommend Ken Wales and David Poling's book Sea of Glory.
Thank you for posting this.
Post a Comment