Sunday, May 24, 2009

Superstitious Silence

I've been tweeting up a storm and this little piece of cyberspace has gotten a little quiet. There are things to report but they all seem so mundane and unexceptional. Part of the reason I even began this blog was to mark the mundane for my children. There were moments of high drama and sadness and a commemoration of the NICU battlefield. But we're just being lately.

We are doing this thing called Catholic homeschooling and I don't say much about it because we're still doing it. I cannot report a finished product or great fruit because I'm still planting, pruning and praying. I don't want to 'jinx' it. It's humbling and satisfying. It torments me and uplifts me. It calls me to be so much more than I expected. It is a cross I took on before I knew I would need some kind Veronica to wipe my face and some conscripted Simon to help me carry it.

One new thing we took on in January is a homeschool cooperative. It meets on Mondays and is a place for several Catholic homeschooling families to gather to create for our kids an opportunity to be among other seriously weird and radically square kids...kids who call me 'Mrs. Adams' and 'Ma'am,' kids who are still innocent, kids who are just kids who happen to be Catholic. Academically, they took on some subjects that are more fun in a group: Science, Geography and Latin. We pray a Rosary at the beginning of the school morning and pause at lunch for The Angelus. We play and pray and it is good.

And the journey continues.

1 comment:

Pauli said...

One new thing we took on in January is a homeschool cooperative. It meets on Mondays and is a place for several Catholic homeschooling families to gather to create for our kids an opportunity to be among other seriously weird and radically square kids...kids who call me 'Mrs. Adams' and 'Ma'am,' kids who are still innocent, kids who are just kids who happen to be Catholic.raa, u rock. God bless.