Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lent List

I once had a mind like Raymond Babbett, remembered trifling details. I was trying to recall what I did for Lent last year and could not recall! [And, too slothful from Mardi Gras, didn't even want to comb my archives to find out.] I went through a mental list of Lenten rigors. Some were pretty fruitful but, for whatever reason, I didn't need to repeat them. Here are some of my Lenten hand-me-downs that might serve your spiritual needs this year. Perhaps you would leave yours in the comments for my edification.

"Give Ups"
Gave up chocolate.
Gave up yelling when angry
Gave up nagging my husband
Gave up commenting on blogs
Gave up blogging every day
Gave up saying 'no' [to God and spiritual requests]

"Take Ons"
Daily Mass
Rosary
Doing the daily Mass readings
Reading "The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ" by Sr. Catherine Anne Emerich
Stations of the Cross on Friday
Adoration whenever possible

I have a friend who always looks toward the rigors of Lent with anticipation. In her many years of holy living, she told me that a well done Lent has always taken her to the next spiritual level--a level she would not have obtained without the study in self-denial. That is the gift of Lent.

5 comments:

Kathie Brinkman said...

A few years ago you also took on the habit of DFC (de-cluttering for Christ). I recall you writing that this was very fruitful the first time you did it. I've never really participated in Lent in any committed way but this year I intend to. Tonight I'll attend our Ash Wednesday service and start reading a lenten devotional I bought last year. My give up is eating after 7pm and taking second helpings; my take on is daily exercise. While all these things will benefit me in the long run I also know that God has been calling me to improve my health. I truly can't serve Him as well when I am so exhausted, crabby and comatose from overeating and lack of exercise. So that's my plan.

AnneGero said...

I have started to do this, too. I already have a hugh bag for the trash man on Wednesday from two drawers in the kitchen!!!!!!Thanks for the inspiration!!
Mom

AnneGero said...

Sorry--huge bag.
Mom

Northern Light said...

I find it fascinating that you consider blogging a reward on the level of chocolate and something that you would even THINK to give up for Lent. Thanks for the insights into your life.

Trooper York said...

I gave up making fun of Mort for Lent and it is killing me.