Saturday, August 30, 2008

Learning a New Language

With the selection of Sarah Palin as the Republican's vice-presidential nominee, there's a sudden discussion of Down syndrome. I found this message from the National Down Syndrome Society to be very helpful. And I also found this essay, "Welcome to Holland," to be applicable to my life once upon a time. [And, I got Italy mixed up with Switzerland, but the sentiment was the same. I also note that I got the lingo wrong on Down syndrome.]

2 comments:

sueh said...

I was so excited to hear that Palin was selected. Ruth Ann, I first heard of her right here your blog!! Thanks for enlightening me!! I can't wait to see what happens next. Politics were getting kind of boring, but now, watch out!!!

XWL said...

There's some irony in that Holland essay, given this:

The Netherlands' recently-adopted program of infant euthanasia was co-authored by Dr. Pieter Sauer. He told the Times the practice should be legalized in the UK , since he knew of British doctors who already euthanized disabled infants.

(above from 2006, there's an 'unofficial' Groningen Protocol in Netherlands regarding 'active euthanisia for infants or others in 'unrelievable suffering', I'd imagine they're even more 'active' when it comes to ending 'problem' pregnancies)

Probably should update the countries in that (beautiful) essay to some place outside of Europe as most of those socialized medicine practicing paradises see it in the government's motivated self interest to prevent women from going through with 'risky' pregnancies that may end up in special needs children.

Europeans like to tout their lower infant mortality rates compared to the United States, but when they cite those stats, they fail to mention abortions for correctible defects like cleft palate or club foot, or abortions that happen as late as the 39th week in the case of severe disability (some in the United Kingdom have the temerity to think this is a bad idea).

(and at 39 weeks, it seems pretty audacious to still call it 'abortion' and not 'infanticide')

Don't mean bring down a light and sweet post, but I've noticed too many fans of 'audacity' saying some abhorent things when it comes to future VP Palin recently.