Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Happily-Ever-After Tour

I'm a little giddy with excitement and overwhelmed by the numerous details of our upcoming short jaunt to Georgia. My nephew is graduating from his infantry basic course at Fort Benning this week. We are going to celebrate his milestone and to reminisce about the place where it all began for our family.

The last time we were there was eighteen years ago. We were wed at the Infantry Center Chapel, right across from my JAG office, on a glorious October afternoon. There were 10 gentlemen in our sabre arch and our friend George cavalierly swatted my bottom with, "Welcome to the Infantry, Mrs. Adams!" I outranked him and had informed him that if he said Welcome to the Army or even Welcome to the Airborne that I would turn and drop him for push-ups, mess dress be damned.

My nephew, still known to us as 'Little Dave,' was wearing short pants and diapers on that day. It seems entirely fitting that we take our wee ones to see their big cousin as he embarks on something really big. He plans to go to Afghanistan soon.

4 comments:

Peggy Gero DaValt said...

Oh I do remember that day!!

18 years huh?

Man....time does fly....

Peggy :)

Kevin said...

From one silently climbing the tapestry walls and wishing he were back in the fray...Godspeed.

Oh, and enjoy my home state, too. :-)

Northern Light said...

Mazel tov to "Little Dave!" And prayers he returns from Afghanistan safely. And you from Georgia!

Kathie Brinkman said...

I remember the day well. And I remember the swat. You would have dropped him I know. Except for Bridezilla rearing her ugly head on rehearsal day it was a lovely time. I'm glad I was there.