Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Marguerite A. "Muggsie" Thompson, R.I.P.

The strangest thing: I found out about Muggsie's death by reading my own SiteMeter referrals.

A wonderful, kind, generous lady has died. I knew Muggsie through her husband, my religion professor, Jerry Thompson. Every year, after the Ripon College Easter sunrise service [held at the pond in the park], we would go over to Jerry and Muggs' for Easter brunch. She had the best darn food every year, all home-made, including these stupendous cinnamon yeast rolls and egg casseroles. She would feed the marauding hordes of college kids who got up early [or just stayed up late from their Unholy Saturday revelry] without an RSVP or even a nosecount prior to it. She was a joyful, bubbly personality who effervesced with love of life, love of family, love of learning. It was so obvious to me that she had a passionate love for her husband, Jerry. I couldn't quite explain it, because as a balding, older, bespectacled man, he had warmth [and nice stocky legs], but not one ounce of sex appeal to my teenaged eyes. I often thought, however, that theirs was such a fine example of Christian marriage. She was a doting grandma and a patient soul who watched endless tennis matches while her husband played. She was kind to everyone and I can never recall an unkind word or deed attributed to her.

According to her obituary, she lived a good long life. May she be accompanied by angels to her final reward. I bet there'll be a banquet in her honor.

No comments: