Dave and I had a lovely date night. I had to leave work early to bring home dinner for the kids. Our sitter, now fully mobile with his own license and a car, was pulling up as I did. Zeke was winding down his one-day probation from the computer and I told him that the sitter's assessment of him tonight would affect whether his privileges resumed tomorrow. He responded with Eddie Haskell-like zeal and is now riveted to the small screen.
We called ahead to our local fave, but when we arrived to an over-full parking lot, we realized it was just not to be. I suggested the Golden Corral on the north side of town en route to the theater. And so it was. I was a little surprised by the price of the buffet--$9.95--and mentioned this to Dave. I limited my meal to a few side items and desserts, but he reminded me that the price included steaks, too. There was often a disconnect in how pretty the food looked versus how good it tasted, but their yeast rolls were top notch. That's the kind of place to go when you have an empty stomach and a hollow leg and time on your hands.
Onto the movie. We saw "Juno" and I absolutely loved it. It's the story of a 16 year old Minnesota girl who becomes pregnant and decides to have the baby and place it in an adoptive home. I got lost in the story and actually cried on three different occasions [hormones?] and felt like the story did justice to those characters. From the opening credits, you expect quirky and off-beat. You get that and so much more. A life-affirming movie well worth seeing.
Best yet: I got to spend some time with my man, whom I often misplace amid the daily grind of parental, work and home maintenance duties.
15 years ago

1 comment:
Don't tell anybody else, I teared up a bit at the end of Juno, too.
Sat for a bit more of the credits and did a bit of glasses cleaning before the house lights came up.
(I didn't include that fact in my mini-review)
Not a great film, but an enjoyable film, probably why it's receiving a bit of the backlash treatment at the moment.
And Jennifer Garner was robbed, if Ellen Page deserved recognition from the Academy (and she did), then so did Jennifer Garner in a much harder role to make more than a cartoon version of a tightly wound yuppie.
Post a Comment