15 years ago
Sunday, December 09, 2007
Date Night: Movie "No Country for Old Men"
Dave and I enjoyed a date night. His pick was the movie "No Country for Old Men," starring Tommy Lee Jones, Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin and several others. It is a Coen Brothers dismal-fest, based on a book by Cormac MacCarthy, that David read and liked. He didn't give me any spoilers, so I went into the theater knowing nothing much and left knowing not much more. It's a good movie--well made, well acted--but it is not a feel good holiday flick. Javier Bardem, Spain's Russell Crowe, plays a psychopathic killer, and Tommy Lee Jones plays an aging Texas sheriff on his trail. I love Tommy Lee Jones and have ever since "Coal Miner's Daughter." Much like the Coen's "Fargo," the desolate scenery [west Texas] plays an important part in establishing a mood of desperation and bleakness. Josh Brolin performed well, making a complicated character likeable. If you're up for a downer, this film is it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I definitely want to see this flick, as well as Charlie Wilson's War over the holidays. The Coen Bros. make some different films...
The WGN comments about this movie were that they couldn't figure the title until about the last 15 minutes of the movie. Do you think that?
Mom
I saw this movie...and enjoyed the performances of Tommy Lee Jones, Javier Bardim (also saw him in Love in the Time of Cholera) and Josh Brolin.
The theatre was crowded which is far from the norm lately and Mary R. and I saw it together.
At the end, one of the movie-goers says, "AND that's IT?"
Definitely a Coen Bros. movie. Well-acted....very violent but a good flick.
I'm sure Tommy Lee Jones will get an Academy Award nomination. I think Josh Brolin deserves one for supporting actor.....
Just my humble two cents....now where's that popcorn?
Peggy :)
Post a Comment