Sunday, December 02, 2007

Credo Corleone

I have a big project I'm working on today. I will give a brief talk tonight to the confirmation class at our church. My subject is the Creed. In Latin, it's "Credo" or "I believe." Seeing as they are only 8th graders, I know I can't use the "rhymes with Fredo" joke. Or can I? Nope. Eighth graders have never heard that pop culture reference. At least I hope not.

UPDATE: Mission, such as it is, accomplished. I was quite nervous and spoke too long. You know that old story: if you want me to edit, you have to give me longer to prepare. I'm never sure how these things are received. I pray that the Holy Spirit carries the proper message, albeit through this lowly vessel. A good handful of the adults thanked me for the talk, saying they enjoyed it or that they connected with something. One gentleman told me that he is not a native speaker [Spanish is his first language] and he noticed that I didn't ever say "ya know" or "aah, uhm" as fillers, so that he followed my talk and he understood. I guess that's something.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck!

Ruth Anne Adams said...

Mrs. Parkes: Were your ears burning? Today I was at Mass reading a reflection from Cardinal Newman. It said he's from the Oratory in Birmingham and I thought, "Hey! I know that place through Jackie's blog!"

Peggy Gero DaValt said...

Ahhh....presentations are always fun....I head off to one at an agency that wouldn't hire me as an IT professional, so I went to an agency that did....and now...that agency is asking me to come and speak to them on how to convert a system to another.

I'm going to have so much fun!!

And...I always think about Dad and all those Dale Carnegie courses he took me to as a kid...and Mom always yelling about "word whiskers" she called them...."ummm, ya know, well..."

Glad you touched some people with your presentation, Ruth.

You go!!

Peggy :)

JulieD said...

Younger folks today would relate to the mispronunciation of Credo as "creedo," which rhymes with Greedo (a character from the Star Wars flicks). Just tossing in my two cents.