Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Homeschool Wishlist

I realize we're new to the homeschooling scene, but this article, "The Bitter Homeschooler's Wish List," by Deborah Markus, from the first edition of "Secular Homeschooling Magazine" is so true it's funny. I laughed at:

2 Learn what the words "socialize" and "socialization" mean, and use the one you really mean instead of mixing them up the way you do now. Socializing means hanging out with other people for fun. Socialization means having acquired the skills necessary to do so successfully and pleasantly. If you're talking to me and my kids, that means that we do in fact go outside now and then to visit the other human beings on the planet, and you can safely assume that we've got a decent grasp of both concepts.

and:
12 If my kid's only six and you ask me with a straight face how I can possibly teach him what he'd learn in school, please understand that you're calling me an idiot. Don't act shocked if I decide to respond in kind.
and:

19 Stop asking about how hard it must be to be my child's teacher as well as her parent. I don't see much difference between bossing my kid around academically and bossing him around the way I do about everything else.


The list has 22 other funny points. Hat tip to Wittingshire, with thanks for the link.

1 comment:

Kathie Brinkman said...

These are all hilarious. When we were "doing it" number 10 on the list was by far my most frequent issue with non-homeschoolers. Keep up the good work.