Saturday, October 27, 2007

Running Two Fevers

Dave and I both have house fever. This morning, we met with our realtor at a home I'd been eyeing for weeks. We spent about an hour there. So...tempting....to....have.....bigger....kitchen.....must....resist.....temptation.....

Our realtor wisely suggested that if we were really serious about wanting another house, we should start by listing our house first. Then, we'll know what we have to put down, etc. Dave has said that he'd rather take an a$$ kicking than move. I would, too. I told him if we're going to put this house on the market, we'd have to rent one of those P.O.D.S. because, God help me, I watch the home improvement shows and I know what it takes to get the house to show well. And full-to-the-gills, clutter, and three kids ain't it.

St. Joseph, pray for us.

4 comments:

Peggy Gero DaValt said...

To me...it's a no-brainer....

You have 3 kids, a husband and you in a tiny home (at least that's what you tell us...).

You have the financial ability to upgrade to a new home....

You know it's a buyer's market so I'm sure that you'll get a great deal on the new-to-you-home.

Your home would be very attractive because of all the updates/upgrades you have done to it.

I'd move.

I understand Dave's comments...because yours truly has been in her home 25 years....I'm running neck and neck with Mom for that longevity award....When I build here...I'm hoping to move one item at a time when I can as the house is done...and then remove the old home.....

Dad always said....the only thing constant in life is change. Mom used to say that it helped her clean up "crap" when she moved. You're obviously not moving cross-country.....

Can I see the MLS listing of the new place?

Guess I'm not St. Joseph...but sounds good to me.....

Or...do you just want to find property and build?

Go for it!!

Peggy :)

Ruth Anne Adams said...

Peg:
The house is, if well-kept, adequate. We call it "Cozy House" for the right reasons. Also, I like all those improvements. They're us. The new house would be like flipping over the etch-a-sketch and starting over with contractor grade [for the most part]. Plus: we like the mortgage here. There's some inertia working against buying a new home. If we get another one, I want it brand spankin' new. But, geez, it's tough to do it. Finally, there's a spiritual component at work. My lack of space imposes on me a sort of Franciscan minimalism that is improving my holiness, or humility. We both desire more from an almost-envious position. Keeping that at bay is also a good spiritual exercise. God has provided this lovely little place for us. It saw us through getting out of debt and welcoming three children into the world. It keeps us close [literally and figuratively] and I don't know that I'm ready to leave it just yet.

Paul Gero said...

Ruth...there's nothing wrong with wanting a bigger space.

It just has to be tempered with restraint.

While we'd love a slightly bigger home, for us we'd rather not have the increased property taxes and bigger mortgage that it would entail.

With the renovation to the studio, we've got enough here to make it be our dream home if need be...

of course it's a bit newer than your place, but it wasn't brand new when we got it.

as one who went through the build out of a brand new neighborhood...i'll never do that again...

dirty, lots of construction traffic, and trees that aren't mature.

be like a wise car buyer...buy the model that's a few years old and has MOST of what you want...

Kathie Brinkman said...

You make some good points in your reasons not to move. We moved three years ago and I would say that it was the right time and the right move for us. The most important thing is prayer. If a move is motivated by fear, discontent, greed, pride or any of those other "unholy" motivations it's probably not something God will bless. More house does mean more space which can be good for a family of five. However, more house also means more mortgage, more furniture to buy, more house to heat and cool and maintain, more house to clean (or pay someone else to clean). When we moved in here we wanted to make the home ours so we did spend quite a bit of extra money doing some updating, improvements and buying new furniture. But all that being said for us this was a correct move at the correct time and God has confirmed that over and over. This house is not my dream house, but the neighborhood and the kids in it are just right for us. We expect to be here until the kids all move out OR God tells us to move again. In the mean time we update things/improve things as we have resources to do projects. I'm also learning to be content and grateful. This house really is plenty good enough and I really feel blessed to be here. This has been a bit of a process for me. If you and DAve seek the Lord's guidance and input then obey Him you'll be making the right decision--whether it's to stay or to go. That will be true peace and contentment.