I was a little melancholy today, recalling the events of this Tuesday six years ago. I agree with Amba and Callimachus, that the Tuesdayness of today plays into the vividness of the recollections. A Tuesday back then was a regular work day. And on this Tuesday in 2001, I received a nice promotion. A Tuesday now is morning-mothering and afternoon-othering. [Tonight I even squeezed in an evening-druthering at the Y, so I'll sleep well.] I didn't know on 9/11 that I was pregnant. I found out later that week, while Dave and I were away for a birthday get-away. I remember watching Ted Olsen's interview with Brit Hume and tears streaming down my face beccause he spoke of his beloved with such dignity. I anguished--what the hell kind of world will this baby be born into??--and I sought refuge where I so often do: the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. That day, I took several co-workers with me to Mass. What else could we do but pray? And so we did.
And it was a Tuesday unlike any other.
15 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment