Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Every Minute Accounted For

Now that school is underway, I've had the feeling that every moment of my waking life is accounted for and I have a duty to be on task. Zeke's a pretty bright kid and he's making good progress. I've had to give up any computer time for me at home in the morning until schoolwork is finished. Not surprisingly, this little discipline gives me a lot of motivation to get started on the books. Similarly, Zeke gets no computer until he's satisfactorily finished his day's lessons. But I do have a job that pulls me away from home, and so I have to get ready and "put on my face" in time to punch that clock. After work, I've been hitting the gym a couple nights a week. Then home to help put the kids to bed. If I sneak in my blogging time, I could well cut into my sleep time. That's devastating, considering that it's the only time I might meet David in a day. And I do love my blogging time...

But I love my man more.

Here's the deal: busy people are busy by choice. None of this routine is onerous at all. It's all good. But it is nice to have unaccounted for down time. I guess I'll just have to schedule that.

3 comments:

Kathie Brinkman said...

Yes, I remember those same feelings when I homeschooled. Do try to have some unstructured down time even if it's only on the weekends. When I was homeschooling I couldn't fill up every minute with a task otherwise I'd burn out. Homeschooling is very much like a marathon, not a sprint. You really need to pace yourself, but you do need to stay on task. I never crammed our weekends with tons of social engagements. Maybe once a month we'd have another family over. I tried to make Sundays a quiet day--church and resting, playing at home. Or a restful drive to a park. Nothing that required extra "work" on my part. Sunday night kids were in bed on the dot. Then some music, reading or prep time for Monday. No TV or computer for me. Do pace yourself and make sure Dave is always in the loop of the school doings. If your goal is to educate your children, not just "get through" a curriculum you will find time and ways to get done what really needs doing and leave the rest. That's the true beauty and freedom of home education. You as the parents get to decide what your child will spent their days learning. You are not bound to serving a curriculum and its timetable. Teach the kids to read and write then give them lots and lots of great children's literature to read on their own and discuss with you, Dad or Nanny. I think you're doing great!

Anonymous said...

i'm back at the gym too...

Rebecca Frech said...

Just found your blog and love it! From one Catholic homeschooling mom (who married a Lutheran) to another, good job and keep it up!