This morning's plan: go to the early show [10:45 a.m.] of "Ratatouille" [sound at link] with the children. Nanny came along on the field trip and Dave surprised me with his presence. This was the first time ever to go to the movies for the girls and all three of the children did well. The first movie I remember attending was "Herbie the Love Bug" [must've been a re-release] when I was in second grade. It was March and the girls from my class were celebrating Keely Blish's birthday. How come I remember it was March? Because we had Shamrock Shakes at McDonald's on the way home. Another first for me.
I think a love of the cinema is in my familial blood. My great grandfather owned the movie theater in Manistique, Michigan where my father attended every Saturday morning. Dad described all the shows he watched, and all for a nickel! My mother tells us of the time she saw "The Wizard of Oz" and insisted on getting her money back because the movie was billed as color and all she saw was black and white. The usher shushed her back to her seat and she was wowed. My sister, Peggy, is a certifiable cinephile and loves the whole movie experience. We both agree popcorn makes a meal. I didn't see many movies as a child because there was no theater in my little town and I just don't think it was high on my parents' priority. But I do love the movies, the huge screen, the dark room, the group experience and I hope that we have begun to pass that on to our crew.
Movie review: I loved it and am sure to put it into the family collection of all things Pixar. Zeke announced at 10 minutes from the end that he had had enough. Both girls got a little fidgety, but remained quiet. This time next summer, they'll know the dialogue by heart and they'll be laughing in French [aaanh haaanh haaaawnh].
15 years ago

3 comments:
We saw Ratatouille last weekend and it made all of us hungry! It was a cute movie. But whenever I saw all the rats scattering together it made my skin crawl. The animators must have observed real rats to this en masse.
kathie
We went and saw it early afternoon on Wednesday. LOVED it.
Definitely will go into our collection, when available, and we'll probably go see it again in the theatre, which almost never happens.
Ratatouille is indeed simply a thoroughly charming little movie ... I was wondering if kids would be put off by all the rats, especially when they descend from the cieling en masse at the beginning .. it certainly creeped me out!
Post a Comment