Monday, May 07, 2007

Etiquette 101

To help Zeke celebrate the momentous new age he's achieved, I took him out to lunch to celebrate. We went alone, after the lunch crowd had thinned, to the nice new restaurant in the neighborhood. I let him read his menu and select what he wanted. I told the staff that this was his birthday celebration and they were especially attentive. I told him how to greet his waitress and how to treat his waitress. [I have done my share of restaurant work, including waitressing at a family restaurant. I have a lot of respect for waitresses.] He ordered the pizza off the kid's menu and when offered the complimentary dessert, he chose the turtle cake. [He told David later that he was disappointed that it contained no turtles.]

He did swell and I just enjoyed the chance to be with my son. It was his last lunch as a four year old. And I see even better things ahead.

1 comment:

Peggy Gero DaValt said...

What a great story, Ruth. It reminds me of the days when Mom and Dad would take us all on vacation.

I know that they always received compliments on how well-behaved the 4 of us were.

Even today, when I see a family that has well-behaved kids out at a restaurant, I compliment the parents.

Reminds me of when Marte W and I were in Des Moines last fall. We were in a lovely pizza joint to get pizza. Unfortunately, it had been raining and a soccer team had been in there....complete with parents, too. The kids and parents were all at different tables, but the NOISE was deafening. The kids were WALKING on the booth seats with their cleats on. Not to mention running all around the restaurant.

Marte and I endured our meal. Several patrons got up and left. Then one of the troublemakers talks so loudly and said something disgusting and I just said in my loudest voice..."let's not and say we did." Boy did that kid shut up. And, the parents swooped in to protect Johnny and Suzy from the dog show ladies. Marte piped up and said, "we have dogs that behave better than your kids."

The wait staff came over to us and thanked us for saying something.

If it were me, I'd be totally mortified to be one of those parents. I just about sent a letter to the editor of the Des Moines paper, but figured it'd fall on deaf ears. I can't begin to tell you how many times one dad came over and told his kid (the troublemaker) to behave.

So...kudos to you and David to raise your children with some manners and civility.

May you and Zeke enjoy many other lunches out as mother and son!

Peggy :-)