Saturday, March 31, 2007

In Search of Stasis

Today was a stay-at-home-putter-around day. The cleaning lady came at 10 and I moved all the kids to the downstairs fun room to keep everyone out of her way. When she moved downstairs to clean, we moved back up. All the while, Dave was cleaning out the former garage that is now his workshop-in-progress. He bought a nice workbench, assembled it, moved some stuff and put it where he wanted it. I think spring fever is spurring the spring cleaning.

Now if it could only stay that way.

There might be a moment when all the kids' clothes are clean, or all the floors are clean, or all the toilets are clean, but it never lasts. I understand that there are some things in life that are once-for-all [baptism and confirmation spring to mind...matrimony sort of is, but it sort of isn't], but most things in life fall into the category of hygiene: that which requires regular attention. I guess I shouldn't be frustrated by it, any more than I get frustrated at brushing my teeth or combing my hair. The alternative [not having kids for whom to do laundry] is unthinkable right now. And yet I still wish that the "finished" feeling would linger just a little longer.

4 comments:

Matt Brinkman said...

I totally understand. Keep adjusting your standards and you'll find a liveable place where everyone in the family feels comfortable and there's not constant stress about the upkeep of the house. I'd say I'm pretty much there now. My house is rarely as clean and organized as I'd prefer it, but my family is happy and we have enough order for peace, and enough randomness for creativity and fun. I've given up alot of the "chores" I thought were necessary--like dusting. Two times a year is about all I do anymore. If I have energy for more, I do more. But I try to put most of my energy into the things that really matter--nurturing relationships within and without of my family. Just keep swimming!
kathie

NavyBride said...

We just had this conversation in our household this week, too. I'm feeling a little out of whack right now with all the things that "have" to be done and all that is going on right now. Taking it one day at a time is the best that I can do and what I can't do one day can always be done tomorrow...or the day after that.

NavyBride said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peggy Gero DaValt said...

Wow....I wish I had a cleaning lady...but for now, moi is it.

Imagine trying to keep things clean with 9 dogs that come in the house nightly.....the Wisconsin mud season which is upon us. One dog is visiting until Saturday and will go home. One of the 9 is a puppy that will go to its forever home on Friday. I am keeping the other pupper, Drifter, who is Fire, the 12-year old's great-grandson. Drifter has great-grandparents alive on both sides of his pedigree. Another dog may go home this month as he has been visiting since last April.

And...to top it off, my yearly visitor in the form of a garter snake appeared in the dining room much to River's chagrin as well as mine in trying to get it out of the house. Unfortunately, it didn't get out...and went down some hole in my house (remember I have lots of holes in that old farmhouse).....

In the next house, I will have a concrete enclosure for the dogs which will be in the basement of my home, and I can keep all the dog mess there. The upstairs will be my pride and joy and a place that I will be able to feel comfortable inviting people over to. I sincerely hope that Mr. Snake and family will NOT join me in that venture.

Spring is sprung here...but snow may be back this week....

Have a wonderful week!!