15 years ago
Friday, March 23, 2007
Date Night: Picking Brains
We had a Friday date night to Jimmy's Seafood, but this time, we double-dated with another couple. I had invited them out a while back but we had to reschedule. The purpose, along with food and fellowship, was for us to pick their brains about this homeschooling thing. I especially wanted Dave to see what a homeschooling father can expect to contribute to the whole arrangement. I think we began a good friendship with another couple who are travelling a similar path. We're still not decided, but we are certainly more informed. You know it's a good time when the few hours fly by and it only seems like minutes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Keep the homeschool posts coming. Our daughter may only be 19 months old, but my husband and I have already been wondering about her education. I went to public school all the way and my husband went to Catholic school K-12 (I'm glad he went to a public university or we might not have met!). Throw homeschooling into the mix and I'm not sure which situation will provide the best mix of social, spiritual, and academic education. I hope you don't mind sharing any wisdom you find along the way!
A veteran homeschooling father once told us in a conference that "If Dad just supports his wife's homeschooling efforts, she will burn out." The point being that for a family to successfully homeschool over several years, Dad needs to be directing the education of the kids and Mom implements. Both should go to the homeschooling conferences, both should evaluate curriculum, both should determine how the other family commitments--chores, cooking, etc. will be handled and by whom. Dad needs to be the Principal of the school so Mom has back up on difficult days. If there isn't complete unity and passion for this endeavor by both Mom and Dad, Mom will burn out. Homeschooling is more a lifestyle than an activity to do. And with any "alternative" lifestyle choice there will be obstacles to overcome and social pressure to deal with. Mom needs to know that Dad is completely committed to this lifestyle for it to be successful. I've seen examples of both type of homeschool families (Dad "supports or allows" homeschooling vs. Dad embraces homeschooling) and the burn out factor is totally real. I loved it while we were doing it, Matt totally embraced it and directed it and we were successful for 3 years. Our fourth year was not good and it was then time to make a change. You push through hard times and stay committed, but there's a place to evaluate the quality of the fruit being produced in your family too. It's a balance. I know you and Dave will make the best decision for your family, just know that what is best this year may not be what is best a few years from now and that is OKAY!
Post a Comment