Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Hacked Off All Day

Days like today are reminders that I need to get to Confession. When a whole bunch of little nuisances pile up and serve to get me really angry, then I know I need a good soul cleansing. Any one of them would have been manageable, but they piled up and served to make me livid, nail-spittin', mad-at-the-world hacked off.

I fully agree with Sippican that the closer one gets to a government agency, the less responsive that company gets to the customer. And the longer I wait on hold while my kids are knocking at the door, the more I seethe when I actually get a live voice. My sister always reminds me to not kick the cat when I'm really mad at the boss, but sometimes, I do a little feline football because that's who's in my zone. That's what happened with the 30 minutes I spent on the phone company.

Annie had another really good session of PT. I remained occupied trying to unknot the basket of Mardi Gras beads. It was actually therapeutic for me, except that I had to leave the job undone when Annie's session ended.

Then off to work.

As I was leaving work, the sweet little lady who cleans the toilets exchanged the usual pleasantries with me. Then she stopped me to let me know that her 57 year old younger sister passed away today after a couple weeks in the hospital with spinal meningitis. She's from a very large family. The last time a sister died, it was 47 years ago while in childbirth with her sixth child. I listened to the way she worked through her grief, being consoled by the siblings who remain, the chance she had to say good-bye last weekend, the therapeutic benefits of returning to work that involved physical labor.

Thinking of her loss made me less hacked off at things in general. And more appreciative of my sisters in particular.

3 comments:

Peggy Gero DaValt said...

Hey Sistah Kinso -

Thanks for thinking of your sisters as you shared the story of the cleaning lady's loss of her sister....I'm glad I'm your sister...

I know the "hacked" feeling....for those of us who try to always be "upbeat" there are times when you feel "hacked" about the littlest things....

Right now...it's the weather....the fact my dogs must remain inside because I feel guilty putting them out in this weather....then I keep thinking that spring is soon here....

Or....the friend who was just diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma of the small B-cell variety....who lost her brother from something similar when he was 34.....or the friend whose family barn burned down on Monday night.....and then I realize that I have lots of blessings...including family...and sistahs!!

SippicanCottage said...

"I agree with Sippican"


What was your second mistake?

Million Dollar Mary said...

You know, Ruthie...at times we need to hear stories, like the one of your cleaning lady, to snap us back to the reality of our world. Life is short...be ready and don't let the little annoyances in life help you purchase a ticket for the Rescue Ride and become the aggressor. And, as I know from experience, easier said than done. MUCH easier said than done.

And, I'm glad you're my sister, too. And, Peggy too.....2 blessings that mean a lot to me.

Love ya,
Mar