Saturday, January 13, 2007

My Toy Story

I am bone-tired tonight because of the toy job I tackled most of the afternoon. I knew the operation had to be a clean sweep and I knew that once I secured a target, I had to hold it until the mission was completed. I raided both bedrooms and the living room.

Yeah, it felt like a military operation.

With a small home and three children who are all spoiled beyond recognition at their birthdays and at Christmas, keeping the toy clutter at bay is a big job. It's akin to keeping the clothes horse from overrunning the closets. The children have transitioned from baby toys to preschool toys. I have one bag of "giftables" ready to go to an expectant couple and I threw out 5 other kitchen-sized trash bags. I was relentless. If the toy was in disrepair: gone! Missing pieces: gone! Unplayable: gone! Lived a good long life: gone! Noisy: gone!

By the time I got to the bottom of Zeke's toy chest, it was like Christmas all over again for them. They "discovered" toys they had forgotten and began the play-and-migrate maneuver they've made famous. The good word is that there is, indeed, a place for everything. For tonight at least, everything is in its place.

2 comments:

Kathie Brinkman said...

Good for you. This is a very good lesson for your kids to learn as well. I think you're a great mom.

Ruth Anne Adams said...

Kathie: I learned from the best. Back at ya'.