Today is a high holy day for the Catholics: The Feast of the Assumption of Mary. I'm actually excited that it's still a holy day of obligation this year. So many of them these days seem to get "waived" into a Sunday or absolved entirely. I'll be attending Mass tonight after work. But because this is a Marian Feast, I started thinking about the Marian hymns we might be singing. One is "Hail, Holy Queen, Enthroned Above." Years ago, its second verse went, "The cause of joy to men below, O Maria! The spring through which all graces flow, O Maria!"
My little mind went on a flight of fancy with that. What about Mary would cause joy to "men below"? The men must've been below her. That must mean they're looking up her dress. Such is the mind of little me.
Another preposition that caused me trouble: "Lift up your hearts." "We lift them up to the Lord." How did my little mind get wrapped around that? I would step up on the kneeler. I would lift up my heart in the only way I knew how.
Yet another: during the Creed, we state that Jesus Christ was crucified under Pontius Pilate. I figured that the crucifix for old Pontius must be displayed in taller churces, because I sure couldn't see his crucifix in ours.

I assume you'll have a blessed August 15. [Hat tip: The Curt Jester]

No comments:
Post a Comment