I had the privilege of speaking with Michael Medved's guest, Lloyd Levin, one of the producers of today's newly-released movie "United 93." I asked him about ads for the movie touting that 10% of the first weekend's box-office would be donated to the United Flight 93 Memorial Charity. I asked him if he would consider extending that pledge to include 10% during the film's entire theatrical run. I didn't get a definite answer. I told him that to extend the charitable contribution would make it look less like a ploy to fill the seats during the premier weekend and more like a tribute to those killed in United 93.
I have heard nothing but spectacular reviews from all who've seen this movie. I plan to see it in the theater. For us, movie night is about a hundred dollar deal when you figure in baby-sitter and concession stand trips. I think this will be worth it.
15 years ago

4 comments:
I'm not sure how I feel about this movie. I understand that it is supposed to be a tribute. But the idea of taking the all too real tragedies of so many families and making a profit off of it makes me uncomfortable. In my mind, this event is not yet a part of our "history." After only 5 years, would I want to see my wife/husband/child/friend's final moments on the big screen, Hollywood style?
I think that the movie will do well, as I'm probably in the minority in opinion, and I'm in no way criticizing the actual filmaking or skill of the cast. For the time being, though, I think I'll sit this one out. Maybe some day.
I have to admit, it's too soon for me also.
I'm glad an apparently true story of their bravery is being told for history and I'll want to see it some day too. I read so much, especially accounts of people who were called by their loved ones that I think I know the story.
I'm just not ready to watch it, I don't doubt a lot of their relatives will and I think a hefty part of the profits should go, to who? Next-of-kin? Children? Memorial Fund? I don't know.
It's time for congress to award some Congressional Gold Medals like Victoria mentioned last week.
Navybride: This movie is supposed to tell in real time what the passengers experienced. It puts you, basically, in a pre-9/11 mindset (comply with hi-jackers) in the plane with them. You're supposed to have a visceral reaction to random terror. Because it's terror. And it's random. It is, essentially, the enemy we currently face. Would it change your opinion to know that all of the family members supported it? Some of the ground control crew in the film were the actual ones on the actual day. This director [Paul Greengrass] has often used real people. It makes the actors more real and makes the real people behave like actors. I also heard that during the rehearsal of this movie, those playing the terrorists were kept separate from everyone else to heighten the effect/shock on the actors.
Paul: The 10% of first weekend's boxoffice is set to go to the Memorial fund.
I have heard that this film hits like "Schindler's List" and "The Passion of the Christ," which is to say, it leaves a lasting impression.
I HAD heard that it was supported by family members and as you mentioned, the film is getting rave reviews for its sensitivity to the issue. At the same time, while immediate family members may have been supportive, I can't imagine that all those personally touched by the tragedy were contacted.
Mostly, though, it's just me. I don't feel ready for this film. Others would argue that I'm sticking my head in the sand. I disagree. I remember my own personal terror on that day, knowing both my then-boyfriend and my dad (who spends much time working in DC) may have been immediately affected. My personal experience cannot even come CLOSE to those with loved ones on United 93, but I just don't feel ready to relive that day so intensely, and certainly not in a crowded, closed-space theater.
I'll be interested to hear if you agree with the reviews!
Post a Comment