Saturday, January 14, 2006

24/Michael Medved/Joel Surnow

Yesterday, I got to speak with my favorite mensch, Michael Medved on his nationally syndicated radio talk show. His guest was television producer Joel Surnow of the FoxTV show "24". The show begins its fifth season on Sunday with a two hour spot followed by another two hours on Monday. The show, one of our faves, follows US government agent Jack Bauer, played beautifully by Kiefer Sutherland, through one twenty-four hour day of mayhem. Each episode follows one hour in real time. There are multiple story lines going and lots of intrigue and suspense.

I asked Mr. Surnow if he was influenced by the TV Show "Wild Wild West" in the way that he uses multiple screens at the end of each segment. I also wondered if he was influenced by Alfred Hitchcock. According to IMDB, Mr. Surnow will appear this season somewhere in the 7th episode. His response? They steal from everybody.

All the reviews I've heard so far are raves. This season you can bet the Adamses will be riveted.

3 comments:

reader_iam said...

I wish I'd known! It would have been cool to hear your voice.

Then, I'd be able to "hear" you when I read you.

Sounds like good fun.

Years and years and years ago, Medved spoke at a high school in Pennsylvania and I covered his speech for the newspaper at which I then worked (I think I was a bureau chief at the time). I have to say, it was one of most interesting things of that type I'd covered--normally, you'd just do the job but not necessarily be all that interested personally. Not that time, though.

Gosh, wonder if I still have a copy of that article moldering away up in the attack somewhere??

I really do have to scan that old stuff into the computer at some point, if only so that my kid can read my articles from back in the day, at some point, if he turns out to be interested in that sort of thing. There's just so darn many, though, that the idea of the task overwhelms me (like putting together scrapbooks).

Sigh.

reader_iam said...

Why "attack" instead of attic?

Because unconsciously I'm afraid all of the junk one day will burst forth and take over, like pod people?

Because there's a huge job up there that I need to "attack" someday?

Because I'm an idiot for not consistently using preview, when I know I should?

Trust me, I didn't pull this sort of thing when I was ACTUALLY a writer.

Double sigh.

Ruth Anne Adams said...

RIA: If you listen to Medved regularly, you'll hear "Ruth Anne from Winston-Salem" and she would be me. I am on somewhat regularly. Via Medved, I've had the privilege of speaking to New Gingrich, Mel Gibson, Susan McDougall, Dick Morris, General Tommy Franks and others.

Wanna' "hear" me? Think non-descript Midwestern nasal flat, augmented by a few y'alls and other Southernisms. I'm not a full-out cheddarhead talker anymore, but I can still put on that accent.

My proudest Medved trivia is that I coined the tagline "You da mensch" for him back in 2000 or 1999, which he loves and prefers over other greetings on air.