Monday, October 20, 2008

Old Enough to Vote

We celebrate our 18th wedding anniversary today Chez Adams. It feels like we've been married a long time by length of years [now legal to vote!], but I still feel like a newlywed. That has to be partly because our oldest child is only 6 years old and time in our marriage from year 12 to today has been measured by baby and toddler and preschool measures. And the difference from 12 to 18 seems immense!

And yet, I'm hoping for another 18 or 36 or more years with my beloved. He, now graying slightly at the temples of his otherwise flame-red-head, is crinkling a little at the eyes but is even more beautiful in my eyes. He is the embodiment of manliness to me. My heart still skips a beat when I watch him with the power tools or the sidearms or snuggling with the children. He is the real deal. In October 1990, I suspected I was marrying a good man. I just didn't know that this great good man would inspire me to become so much more as a woman by his example.

Thank you, God, for the gift of my beloved.

11 comments:

Kathie Brinkman said...

Well, Happy Anniversary. You do have a good man, and I do too. And with all the hyperbole that spins around these days to describe people, I believe that "good" still has a lot of substance, weight, and meaning to it. Congrats!

Bob said...

"Thank you, God, for the gift of my beloved." I don't know if I've ever seen a more succinct summation of one person's love for another. Congratulations!

Peggy Gero DaValt said...

Awesome.

Ya didn't say it was a kleenex alert....

Happy Anniversary. Welcome to the infantry!!

Peggy :-)

SippicanCottage said...

All the best from your friends in the swamp.

AnneGero said...

Thought about you all day long. HOpe you keep on feeling as you do. Love is a wonderful state of being. May you be blessed with many more years of happiness with your beloved.
Mom

reader_iam said...

Fireworks and roses to you!

(He does sound pretty darn cute over the phone--as do you!)

Gravity's Rainbow said...

happy anniversary

Million Dollar Mary said...

i, like mom, thought of you and david on the 20th. unfortunately, i wasn't able to witness the wedding ceremony (because I was pregnant with stef and couldn't travel). I have, however, been able to enjoy watching your marriage grow and develop. You're right, you got a great Godly man as a husband, lover & father. And I believe David got a great partner as well. God is good....all the time.

love ya millions,
mary

vbspurs said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! :)

And hey, I miss you on Althouse (and Peggy, as ever).

Cheers,
Victoria

Northern Light said...

What an inspiring post. Congratulations! In Hebrew, the number 18 is "chai," life, and a symbol of blessings. Charity donations, wedding gift checks, and anything positive is given in multiples of "chai." Here's to another "chai" together, with all that connotes!

chickelit said...

Hey, congratulations (late).

10/20 is also my daughter's birthday! How lucky we all are!